This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6094 / 50°36'33"N
Longitude: -2.1085 / 2°6'30"W
OS Eastings: 392415
OS Northings: 78855
OS Grid: SY924788
Mapcode National: GBR 33S.MQN
Mapcode Global: FRA 67GG.BCW
Entry Name: Smedmore House
Listing Date: 20 November 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305067
English Heritage Legacy ID: 108619
Location: Kimmeridge, Purbeck, Dorset, BH20
Civil Parish: Kimmeridge
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Kimmeridge St Nicholas of Myra
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
In the entry for:
The grade shall be amended to read: II* ( II star)
C17 Manor House, altered and enlarged in early C18 and 1761. Stone walls, stone
slate roofs, stacks of ashlar stone and brick, all with moulded stone caps. Main
north-west elevation - of 1761, of ashlar stone has ashlar end stacks and large bows
at each end. Two storeys and attics. Central doorway has classical surround with
Ionic pilasters and pediment. Part-glazed door. Ground floor, in central section,
has two double-hung sash windows with glazing bars, in raised stone surrounds.
First floor has three similar windows. In the bows, ground and first floors each
have three similar windows. Attic has gabled dormer with casements. Early C18
south-west elevation, truncated when the front range added, has rubble walls with
raised ashlar quoins, and parapet with moulded cornice. Two storeys and attics.
brick stack on ridge, with recessed panels. Doorway has bolection moulded
architrave and flat hood on moulded brackets. Ground floor has three double-hung
sash windows with glazing bars in bolection moulded surrounds. First floor has four
similar windows, that above the door with more elaborate surround. Raised ashlar
panels between ground and first floor windows. Late C18 wing to south-east, of two
storeys, has ashlar stacks. Ground and first floors each have four double-hung sash
windows with glazing bars in raised stone surround. Several ornamental rainwater
heads with Arms of Clavel family. Late C18 cannon barrels each side of main
entrance. C18 kitchen block, north-east of main house, has, in rear wall, a
Venetian window flanked by "Gothic" windows.
Internally, ground floor rooms in the 1761 range have good moulded panelling,
doorcases and fireplace surrounds. First floor rooms have simpler details - one
room with rococo fireplace surround. Main ground floor room in early C18 block has
good oak panelling. C18 main stair, of oak, has turned and twisted balusters. C17
doorway in rear of front range. Evidence of former outbuildings at rear - now part
of garden walls. RCHM Monument 4.
Listing NGR: SY9241578855
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings