History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cherington Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Cherington, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6856 / 51°41'8"N

Longitude: -2.1407 / 2°8'26"W

OS Eastings: 390366

OS Northings: 198548

OS Grid: ST903985

Mapcode National: GBR 1NF.CL0

Mapcode Global: VH955.VW4P

Entry Name: Cherington Park

Listing Date: 6 September 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1305112

English Heritage Legacy ID: 128334

Location: Cherington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Cherington

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cherington St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Avening

Listing Text

ST 99 NW CHERINGTON CHERINGTON VILLAGE


4/58 Cherington Park
6.9.54

II


Large country house. Built 1740 for John Neale, enlarged in C19,
but partially demolished 1955 when interior largely remodelled.
Rubble stone with Cotswold stone slate roof, and parapet with
cornice to east wing. 2 staggered parallel ranges with linking
unit. South east wing has large projecting stack and gable stack
on south end. Very overgrown with ivy at time of survey (August
1984). 2 storeys and attic. East front has 7 windows, 12-pane
sashes with stone architraves and keystones. 2 small gabled
dormers. Central doorway with C20 door - 3 similar windows on each
side. Gothic wing to north of 2 storeys with scattered
fenestration all with leaded lights and mostly 2-light stone-
mullions. To left, 3-light oriel on 2 large rounded brackets over
carved Norman tympanum, probably taken from church in early C19.
Linking unit has large double height 8-light bay facing south with
king mullions and large partially projecting stepped stone stack on
north side. (VCH, Gloucestershire, Vol. XI, 1976.)


Listing NGR: ST9035698552

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.