History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Winterborne Houghton, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8388 / 50°50'19"N

Longitude: -2.2566 / 2°15'23"W

OS Eastings: 382029

OS Northings: 104398

OS Grid: ST820043

Mapcode National: GBR 1ZK.6BM

Mapcode Global: FRA 665W.6PR

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1305141

English Heritage Legacy ID: 103380

Location: Winterborne Houghton, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

Civil Parish: Winterborne Houghton

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Winterbourne Houghton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Winterborne Stickland

Listing Text

WINTERBORNE HOUGHTON
ST 80 SW -

6/104 Church of St Andrew
14-7-55
- II

Parish church, 1861 by T H Wyatt. Flint with random rubble, banded brick and
flint, part rendered, tiled roofs. Plan: nave, chancel, west tower, south porch,
north aisle and vestry. North arcade now blocked to form parish room in former
aisle. Embattled 2 stage tower has a pointed west window of 3-lights and
Perpendicular tracery. Above are twin lancets. Belfry has 2-light square-
headed Perpendicular windows with returned labels. All other windqws are Cl9
with Perpendicular tracery and have square, pointed or segmental-pointed heads
and are of 1, 2 or 3 lights. Gabled south porch. Plank door with wrought-iron
strap hinges.

Internal features: 3 bay, blocked, stilted, segmental pointed arcade on octagonal
columns with moulded capitals and bases; pointed chancel arch of 2 hollow
chamfered orders, the innermost of which dies into the responds; tower arch of
2 chamfered orders dying into the responds; nave has hammer beam roof with
arch-braced collars, king-posts and struts; chancel has wagoon roof; C15 font
with octagonal bowl, with quatrefoil panels enclosing leaf carving all on an
octagonal stem; other fittings largely C19. (RCHM, Dorset, vol.III, p.297,
no. 1. Newman, J. and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972,
p.481. )


Listing NGR: ST8202904398

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.