This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8837 / 50°53'1"N
Longitude: -2.1999 / 2°11'59"W
OS Eastings: 386032
OS Northings: 109372
OS Grid: ST860093
Mapcode National: GBR 1Z1.GMD
Mapcode Global: FRA 668R.YK3
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 24 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305170
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103260
Location: Stourpaine, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Stourpaine
Built-Up Area: Stourpaine
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Stourpaine Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 80 NE STOURPAINE MANOR ROAD (West Side)
6/180 Church of the Holy Trinity
Parish church, C15 tower, remainder of fabric 1858. 1858 work by T H Wyatt.
Tower of greensand ashlar, remainder of chequered flint and squared greensand
blocks. Tiled, gable-ended roofs. Plan: nave, chancel, south aisle, south
Lady chapel, south porch. West tower: 3 stages with plinth and embattled
parapet all separated by weathered strings; diagonal buttresses, octagonal
north vice turret; parapet string gargoyles; corner crocketted finials; pointed,
3-light, Perpendicular west window with returned label; chamfered octagonal
loop to second stage; belfry stage has 2-light, pointed windows with
quatrefoils and louvres; vice has external, pointed, chamfered doorway. The
north wall of the nave has 3 reset, pointed, 3-light perpendicular tracery
windows, probably C15, reset. That to the east has a different pattern of
tracery. West wall of south aisle has a pointed, 3-light window with
curvilinear tracery. The south wall of the south aisle has 2 and 3-light,
square-headed windows with curvilinear tracery. The Lady chapel has a 2-centred
door to the left, a central, 3-light, segmental-pointed window with curvilinear
tracery and to the east a single trefoiled light. The east wall of the chapel
has a graduated triplet of lancets. The chancel has a pointed, 3-light east
window with Y tracery. The north wall of the chancel has 2 trefoiled lancets
and a pointed door. The south porch is gabled with a 2-centred arch and inner
Internally there is a 4 bay, pointed nave arcade of 2 chamfered orders on
round piers with moulded caps and carved respond corbels. Pointed chancel
arch of 2 chamfered orders, the outer continuous with the jambs and the inner
springing from respond corbels. C15, pointed tower-arch of 2 chamfered orders
dying into the responds. Aisle to chapel and chapel to chancel arches are
pointed, of 2 chamfered orders dying into responds. Chancel has continuous
string course. 4 bay nave roof with arch braced collar beam trusses with
king-posts and cusped struts. Scissor-braced, collar beam chancel roof.
C19 octagonal font. Octagonal oak pulpit with naturalistic foliage carving
dated 1914. Monument to John Straight under tower dated 1670 with kneeling
effigy in niche flanked by Tuscan columns supporting an entablature. Other early
C19 monuments. Other features mainly C19. (RCHM, Dorset, vol. III, p.269/1.
Newman, J. and Pevsner, N. 'The Buildings of England: Dorset', 1972, p.400.
Chandler, J W. 'A Brief History of Holy Trinity Church Stourpaine', 1982.)
Listing NGR: ST8603209372
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings