History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Elkstone, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8094 / 51°48'33"N

Longitude: -2.0482 / 2°2'53"W

OS Eastings: 396769

OS Northings: 212313

OS Grid: SO967123

Mapcode National: GBR 2NB.JZB

Mapcode Global: VHB23.GS17

Entry Name: Old Rectory

Listing Date: 4 June 1952

Last Amended: 24 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1305230

English Heritage Legacy ID: 127223

Location: Elkstone, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL53

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Elkstone

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Elkstone St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cowley

Listing Text

SO 91 SE ELKSTONE ELKSTONE VILLAGE

3/123 Old Rectory
(previously listed as Rectory)
4.6.52
II

Former rectory, now large country house. Early C18; back partly
rebuilt 1847 by Francis Niblett; late C20 loggia. Limestone
ashlar; imitation ashlar render to loggia; concrete interlocking
tile roof. 3-storey with cellar; double pile. Front of 3
storeys and 5 windows with central projecting single-storey porch;
all windows are round headed and all have original early C18 9-pane
sashes, the upper leaf of each with round head; rusticated
architraves with keystone linked to plain band above; keystones to
top floor windows link with modillion eaves cornice; spaced
rusticated quoins to match windows; porch doorway is round-headed
with plain architraves, keystone and imposts; 6-panel fielded door
with fanlight over to match windows; rusticated Tuscan pilasters;
very small round-headed 2-pane sashes with matching architraves to
sides of porch. Ashlar chimneys with unmoulded caps at back of
front range. Back range projects beyond front at north end;
parapet gables to both side elevations, those to back range having
ridge-mounted ashlar chimney stacks with unmoulded caps; at south
end of back range a 4-light recessed chamfered mullioned window
with hoodmould to cellar, presumably a survival from earlier house.
Back elevation of 3 storeys and 5 windows, the outer windows being
2-storey rectangular bays with tripartite window to each floor and
C19 sashes; three 9-pane sashes with plain architraves and one 6-
pane to top floor; 2 sashes to middle floor; projecting
rectangular loggia to ground floor has moulded cornice to parapet
roof and plain central opening flanked by unglazed window openings;
reached by flight of steps; 9-pane sashes to cellar.
Interior remodelled in C19. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The
Cotswolds, 1979.)


Listing NGR: SO9676612309

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.