This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9315 / 50°55'53"N
Longitude: -2.1962 / 2°11'46"W
OS Eastings: 386308
OS Northings: 114685
OS Grid: ST863146
Mapcode National: GBR 1YG.HLB
Mapcode Global: FRA 669N.072
Entry Name: Clayesmore School
Listing Date: 24 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305275
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103208
Location: Iwerne Minster, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Iwerne Minster
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Iwerne Minster St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 8614 IWERNE MINSTER BLANDFORD ROAD (West Side)
10/118 Clayesmore School
Country house, now school, dated 1878 addition of-1908 east. By
Alfred Waterhouse for Lord Wolverton. Rubble walls with ham stone ashlar
dressings and bonding courses. Tiled roofs with ashlar stacks located
mainly along the ridge. An asymmetric High Victorian mansion. 2 storeys
with basements and attics, 9 window range. Service functions located in the
west end. Stone mullioned windows of 1, 2 and 3 lights, those to the main
rooms having cusped heads and those to the service rooms having straight
heads. To the ground floor left is a large 4-light mullioned and transomed
window. The next bay has a large 4-light mullioned and double transomed
staircase window. 2-storey canted bay window to end of main block-Attic
dormers. Cross-wing has tourelle in re-entrant angle. Single storey porch
in third bay from left has pointed, cusped moulded archway. Single storey
1908 addition in a Tudor style having a flat roof and canted, mullioned bay
window. Garden facade has an asymmetric composition with similar fenestration
to that of the main front.
Internally the plan was originally of a spine corridor running through the
main hall. Large main staircase with square newels having ball finials and
square panelled balustrade. Most main rooms remodelled c.1900 and have
neo-classical plasterwork and fittings. The 1908 addition has good quality
neo-Jacobean chimney pieces and panelling. On the ground floor many original
mosaics remain intact. The upper floor rooms are largely remodelled.
(Newman, J and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.239-40).
Listing NGR: ST8630814685
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings