This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9093 / 50°54'33"N
Longitude: -2.1964 / 2°11'46"W
OS Eastings: 386288
OS Northings: 112216
OS Grid: ST862122
Mapcode National: GBR 1YN.X3C
Mapcode Global: FRA 669P.S5F
Entry Name: Ranston
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305285
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103197
Location: Iwerne Courtney or Shroton, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Iwerne Courtney or Shroton
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Iwerne Courtney (Shroton) and Iwerne Steepleton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 8612 IWERNE COURTNEY OR SHROTON RANSTON
Country House. West front 1753, remainder rebuilt 1961-3 incorporating much
C18 material. 1753 work for Thomas Ryves of Blandford possibly by himself.
1961-3 work by Louis Osman. Rendered walls with ashlar dressings. Slate roof
obscured behind parapets. Symmetrical disposed moulded ashlar stacks. The west
front is in the Paladian style. Symmetrical 2 storeys with basements, 5 bays,
1:3:1. Central three bays have a giant order of fluted Corinthian pilasters
carrying an entablature and pediment. The cornice continues over the outer bay.
The basement storey and quoins are of rusticated ashlar. The parapet has
sections of open balustrade over the outer bays and, together with the acroterion
of the pediment, is surmounted by vase finials. Uniform 15-pane sashes to the
ground floor and 6-pane sashes above. Balustraded double flight of stone steps
with lunette window to basement are a copy of an original flight removed in the
C19. 1961-3 facades are stylistically in keeping with the west front. The
east front has a heavily rusticated central doorway with a Venetian window
over. Internally all features are reset. The staircase dated 'Thos Ryves 1753'
has stone steps, a scrolled wrought iron balustrade and a moulded wooden handrail.
Panelled paintings by Casali set in ceilings and walls. Entrance hall has Ionic
colonnades, possibly by the Bastards of Blandford. Similar colonnade above has
typical Corinthian columns with inwardly curving volutes (Newman and Pwvsner).
Restored rich rococo plasterwork. In the basement is a reset piscina of uncertain
provenance under a round arch with egg and dart embellishment. Also incorporated
into the basement are the remains of 2 C16 or C17 stone mullioned windows with
chamfered jambs and mullions.
Although the house has been extensively rebuilt it incoporates many fine C18
features and is a rare example of the Palladian idiom in Dorset.
(RCHM, Dorset, vol III, p 128, no 3 Newman J and Pevsner N, The Buildings of
England, Dorset 1972, p 237, Oswald, Arthur, Country Houses of Dorset, 1935,
p 1935, p 161/2).
Listing NGR: ST8628812216
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings