History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hartpury House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hartpury, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9049 / 51°54'17"N

Longitude: -2.3105 / 2°18'37"W

OS Eastings: 378737

OS Northings: 222971

OS Grid: SO787229

Mapcode National: GBR 0J5.JPN

Mapcode Global: VH943.WDX2

Entry Name: Hartpury House

Listing Date: 18 October 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1305312

English Heritage Legacy ID: 125568

Location: Hartpury, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL19

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Hartpury

Built-Up Area: Hartpury College

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hartpury St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Hartpury

Listing Text

SO 72 SE HARTPURY


8/36
Hartpury House

GV II*

Large country house; early C19 and 1896 (rainwater heads on right
return) latter by Sir Guy Dawber for William Gordon-Canning.
Brick, Flemish bond C19, English bond 1896, ashlar plinth and
dressings, slate roof. Large, irregular plan: 4-window, 2-storey
and attic, 2 room deep main part, to left 3-storey wing, 5 windows
long, single-storey wing at front, 2-storey wing at end. Entrance
front: single-storey porch, rusticated ashlar; double, panelled
door up 3 stone steps, low balustrade each side; semi-circular
fanlight over, with cartouche above: Doric columns each side,
projecting cornice above; stone parapet with decorative details
flanking decorative iron railings in centre. Main front each side
semi-circular headed windows, stone voussoirs, enlarged keystone,
double sashes below fanlight. Plain string course; first floor
ordinary sashes each side, rubbed brick arch; centre projects
slightly, 4-pane wide sash, stone architrave, sweeping out at foot,
shell above: consoles to projecting cornice. Pediment over with
circular window. Hipped roof, flat-headed dormer each side,
central stone chimneys with cornice: on left top to rooflight to
stairs. On right facade set back slightly, one 4-pane wide, 6-pane
high sash window ground floor, similar ordinary height above. To
left single-storey wing projects, semi-octagonal bay window in
centre, with 2 six-pane high sash windows each side. Stone dentil
cornice, plain brick parapet and stone coping, decorative rainwater
heads. Tall stone chimney rises from top of arch. Behind 5-window
block rises further 2 storeys; 4-pane wide sashes, 1 replaced by 2
small mid C20 sashes. Hipped roof. Beyond, on left, pedimented
gable of 2 storey wing, wooden dentil eaves, ground floor hidden by
a walled yard, tripartite sash window first floor, circular opening
with louvres in gable. Rear stone plinth, on left repeat of right-
hand end of front: to right remains of early Cl9 house. Ground
floor lead covered tent-roofed verandah, wrought-iron supports and
tracery, behind tripartite sash window on left, normal centre and
right, all 5 panes high. Three sash windows above, rubbed brick
arches: stone cornice, centre raised and fluted. Hipped roof with
2 flat-headed dormers. To right 3-storey wing. 4 sash windows per
floor with rubbed brick arches, door on left to ground floor.
Beyond 3 storey canted bay with 4-pane wide sashes, 2 on ground
floor, one each above. Stone cornice.
Interior: porch, curved pendentives to ceiling, circle in centre
with bayleaf moulding. Hall, fielded panelling, 6-panel doors,
moulded leaf decoration to window arch, bolection-moulded stone
fireplace surround (as other fireplaces), panelled decorative
wooden overmantel, Ionic pilasters each side. Moulded plaster
beams to ceiling. Dogleg stair, turned balusters, square, panelled
newels, heavy moulded hand rail, moulding to soffit of stairs,
heads to timber screen on landing above. On right, former library,
window as hall, shelves over fielded-panelled doors, arches over as
windows. Glazed arch with bust to corridor behind; pediment over
panelled overmantel to fireplace: moulded leaf decoration to
ceiling. Dado panelling to room behind hall; eared architraves to
door surrounds, octagonal columns either side fireplace carry
projecting cornice with swept head in centre. Drawing room in
right-hand end, dado panelling, shutters to windows, panelled doors
with original brass fittings, inglenook fireplace in bay, moulded
plaster decoration over; segmental ceiling in 4 bays, with vine and
other plants forming borders. Single-storey wing contains panelled
ante-room, and former billiard room, now dining room, panelling to
1.5m, fretwork grilles over radiators, moulded leaf decoration to
arch over bay window, panelled ceiling with dentil cornice. Early
C19 house partly rebuilt and greatly enlarged in 1896: decorative
forecourt wall (q.v.). (D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and
the Forest of Dean, 1970; notes at house.)


Listing NGR: SO7873722971

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.