History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sustead, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8873 / 52°53'14"N

Longitude: 1.2193 / 1°13'9"E

OS Eastings: 616681

OS Northings: 337055

OS Grid: TG166370

Mapcode National: GBR VC1.WM7

Mapcode Global: WHLR3.PPTD

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 4 October 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1305371

English Heritage Legacy ID: 223289

Location: Sustead, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Sustead

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Bessingham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Aylmerton

Listing Text

SUSTEAD BESSINGHAM
TG 13 NE
5/48 Church of St.Mary
4:10:60
- II*
Parish church. Medieval, extensively restored in C19, the tower being restored
during re-survey. Flint, ironbound conglomerate. Tile roof. Cll west tower,
nave, south porch, continuous chancel. Embattled round tower of random
conglomerate and flint. Small round-headed opening to west. Blocked slit
lights to north and south. Twin triangular-headed bell-openings with
conglomerate imposts and central shafts. Nave has conglomerate quoins to north
west and south west corners. Walling to the south probably re-faced in
restoration of 1869, the north east quoins of the earlier church are visible,
the wall extended eastwards or re-faced in 1869. 3 restored square-headed 2-
light windows to south, 2 with ogee cusped lights; one with panel tracery.
One similar window of C19. To north, doorway with continuous chamfer; undercut
hood mould with decorated stops. C19 trefoil over. C19 3-light east window.
Buttressed south porch of knapped flint. Single cusped light to east and west.
Shafts with castellated abaci; ovolo to arch; wave to continuous inner and
outer orders. Niche over with brick jambs and stone head. C19 round-headed
doorway to nave. Interior. Tall round-headed tower arch with imposts.
Triangular-headed opening over. C19 roof. Some re-used bench ends. Stoup
beside south door. C19 piscina. Plain octagonal font on octagonal shafts.


Listing NGR: TG1668137055

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.