History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Churchyard Walls to North, South and West, Churchyard Gates and Gatepiers

A Grade II Listed Building in Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0535 / 52°3'12"N

Longitude: -1.7752 / 1°46'30"W

OS Eastings: 415512

OS Northings: 239477

OS Grid: SP155394

Mapcode National: GBR 4NG.805

Mapcode Global: VHB13.5NW5

Entry Name: Churchyard Walls to North, South and West, Churchyard Gates and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 8 June 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1305478

English Heritage Legacy ID: 126109

Location: Chipping Campden, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL55

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Chipping Campden

Built-Up Area: Chipping Campden

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Chipping Campden St James

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Chipping Campden

Listing Text

1.
5224 CHURCH STREET
(east side)

Churchyard walls to
north, south and west,
churchyard gates and
SP 1539 6/60 gatepiers
SP 1539 SW 9/60

II GV


2.
The walls are principally early Cl7 for Sir Baptist Hicks, gates and rails probably
mid C19. Good quality ashlar rubble. North wall about 5-7 ft buttressed and about
100 yds long. South wall about 6-9 ft high with weathered coping with roll, also
about 100 yds long; blocked Tudor archway, axial between Campden House and Hicks
chapel and a further blocked opening at east end which has stepped buttresses. West
wall about 6 ft high with weathered coping. Footpath gate north-west; churchyard
gates to south-west. Latter consist of 2 rusticated ashlar gate-piers with ball-
capping and lamp overthrow;pair of cast-iron gates with reversed arch top rail;
halberd-head railings, repeated on flanking panels of railings (arches between
verticals). Side gate to right with railings and dwarf wall linking to North Lodge (qv).


Listing NGR: SP1551239477

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.