History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Remains of Former Church of St Peter Including Tower and Porch

A Grade II Listed Building in Frocester, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7277 / 51°43'39"N

Longitude: -2.3329 / 2°19'58"W

OS Eastings: 377105

OS Northings: 203270

OS Grid: SO771032

Mapcode National: GBR 0L8.R09

Mapcode Global: VH94W.JT2Y

Entry Name: Remains of Former Church of St Peter Including Tower and Porch

Listing Date: 24 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1305482

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132910

Location: Frocester, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL10

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Frocester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Frocester St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Frocester

Listing Text


SO 70 SE FROCESTER PETER'S STREET
(west side)

1/116 Remains of former Church of
St Peter including tower and
porch

GV II

Remains of former parish church. Medieval with C15 porch, tower
rebuilt 1849 by Francis Niblett. Random rubble limestone base
walls; ashlar porch with plain tile roof. Coursed rubble
limestone tower with ashlar spire. Outline of church retained in
low walls; south porch and north tower surviving. Tower: 2-stage
with narrow trefoil side windows and moulded pointed north doorway.
Projecting stair turret on west side with blocked doorway. Two-
light lancet belfry openings with stone louvres. Broach spire with
lucarnes to cardinal faces. Bold stone finial with weathercock.
Parapet gabled south porch with 4-light side windows having central
king mullion. Diagonal buttresses to front wall with plain pointed
archway. Wagon roof internally. C20 coping to cut-down church
walls. Gravel surface within . Church demolished in 1952, stone
being used to build Wycliffe College chapel in Stonehouse.
(N.M. Herbert, 'Frocester' in V.C.H. Glos. x, 1972, pp 170-178;
and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean,
1976)


Listing NGR: SO7710503270

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.