This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7273 / 51°43'38"N
Longitude: -2.313 / 2°18'46"W
OS Eastings: 378479
OS Northings: 203226
OS Grid: SO784032
Mapcode National: GBR 0L9.Q1J
Mapcode Global: VH94W.VVL6
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 10 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305516
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132908
Location: Frocester, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL10
Civil Parish: Frocester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Frocester St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 7803 FROCESTER PETER'S STREET
9/114 Church of St Andrew
Former chapel of ease, now parish church. Nave roof dated 1637,
remainder reconstructed late C17; extensive rebuilding 1896-7.
Coursed rubble limestone; stone slate roof. Nave without aisles;
chancel. Rather plain nave with parapet gabled ends, east with C17
bellcote. Late C19 moulded pointed arched south doorway towards
west end has attached jamb shafts. Offset buttresses divide nave
into 3 bays, 2 with 2-light square headed windows having trefoil
tracery heads and thin hoodmoulds. Three-light Perpendicular style
west window. Lower chancel has similar windows to south side:
small reset C12 window to north and Tudor arched doorway with 2-
light window above. Perpendicular east window is late C19.
Interior: walls are unplastered to nave, all apparently C19.
Panelled nave barrel roof has moulded ribbing and carved bosses,
all said to be survival from C17. C19 moulded pointed chancel
arch. Jacobean hexagonal pulpit. Bowl font with tall octagonal
base is recorded from 1680. Reset memorial stone to west end
inscribed to IOHANNIS : HUNTLEY, died 1622. Some good stained
glass, small Norman window has glass signed by G. Taylor of Berners
Street. South chancel window by Maile & Son, Euston Road, London.
Church fell into state of ruin when Church of St Peter (q.v.)
became main village church in 1849.
(N.M. Herbert, 'Frocester' in V.C.H. Glos. x, 1972, pp 170-178;
and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean,
Listing NGR: SO7847903226
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings