This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7352 / 51°44'6"N
Longitude: -2.2201 / 2°13'12"W
OS Eastings: 384897
OS Northings: 204075
OS Grid: SO848040
Mapcode National: GBR 1MR.3J9
Mapcode Global: VH94Y.GNP5
Entry Name: Rodborough Fort
Listing Date: 24 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305531
English Heritage Legacy ID: 131964
Location: Rodborough, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL5
Civil Parish: Rodborough
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Rodborough St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 80 SW RODBOROUGH
4/89 Rodborough Fort
Detached house. Mostly 1870; extensive mid C20 restoration.
Random rock-faced rubble limestone; artificial stone; ashlar
dressings. Two-storey with 4-storey tower on south west side; 2
rear wings. Two sets of curtain walls with various outbuildings to
south west and north east (q.v.). South west: asymmetrical with
central tower having Tudor arched doorway with hoodmould and double
plank doors; chamfered cross window to each tower storey on each
tower face, all with hoodmoulds. Continuous dripmoulds to tower
and main block; upper part of tower rendered with machicolated and
crenellated parapet; circular stair turret at east corner of tower
projects above crenellated parapet. Cross windows to main block
left of tower, narrow transomed windows to right with iron
casements. Crenellated parapet as to tower. North west:
symmetrical front, 3 window fenestration, central being canted 2-
storey bay. Flanking cross windows: continuous dripmoulds and
crenellated parapet. Small circular turret projects at upper level
of north corner. North east: largely rebuilt in mid C20 with
artificial stone. Three window fenestration all C20 cross-windows;
crenellated parapet. South east: two asymmetrical wings, left
with hipped roof set behind parapet of south west elevation; right
wing is end of north east facing range. Part of curtain wall
adjoins at corner to left (q.v). Interior not inspected.
Originally built as a folly for Captain Hawker in 1761, enlarged
with the construction of house in 1870 for Alexander Holcombe.
Stands on lofty eminence above Stroud town and a very important
(N.M. Herbert, 'Rodborough' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 218-234;
and B. Jones, Follies and Grottoes, 1974)
Listing NGR: SO8489704075
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings