This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7958 / 51°47'44"N
Longitude: 0.4628 / 0°27'45"E
OS Eastings: 569926
OS Northings: 213664
OS Grid: TL699136
Mapcode National: GBR PJR.9T3
Mapcode Global: VHJJV.Z405
Entry Name: Langleys
Listing Date: 29 June 1952
Last Amended: 29 December 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305533
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112687
Location: Great Waltham, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3
Civil Parish: Great Waltham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Waltham St Mary and St Lawrence with Ford End St John
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
1. GREAT WALTHAM CHELMSFORD ROAD
5213 GREAT WALTHAM
TL 6913 23/186 29.12.52.
A fine early C18 red brick house built on an H-shaped plan and incorporating in
the north wing part of an earlier house of circa 1620. It stands in a park of
about l00 acres and is approached by a drive from Chelmsford Road. Langleys was
bought by Samuel Tufnell in 1711 and the present house was built in 1719, the
date cast in the rainwater heads. 3 storeys. The west front has wings projecting
at the north and south ends. The 3 central bays were altered in circa 1820 when
the entrance hall was built. There is a panelled parapet, moulded brick cornice
and a moulded wood dentilled pediment above the centre part with an embossed coat
of arms. 2:2:1:3:1:2:2 window range, double-hung sashes with glazing bars. There
is a central doorway and window piece with an 8-panel door with a segmental headed
doorcase, fluted Ionic pilasters and side volutes with garlands which unite the
doorcase with the windows above. The 1st and 2nd storey centre windows are connected
by a raised surround. The east front is similar to the west but with only slightly
projecting side wings. The central pediment with the door and window piece is
less elaborate than that on the west front and there is a window range of 2:3:3:3:2.
The interior of the north wings has 2 unique rooms of the circa 1620 period with
remarkable strapwork ornamentation with cartouches and coats of arms. These rooms
also have fine chimney pieces of the same period elaborately ornamented. There
are many fine C18 rooms, the most important of which is the Salon of 1720, a 2
storeyed room with giant Corinthian pilasters and a tall chimney piece. There
are many fine C18 fire surrounds. The house is in an excellent state of preservation
and upkeep. (RCHM8).
Langleys, Garden Block at Langleys and Stables at Langleys form a group.
Listing NGR: TL6992613664
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings