History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Duntisbourne Abbots, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7697 / 51°46'11"N

Longitude: -2.0437 / 2°2'37"W

OS Eastings: 397080

OS Northings: 207896

OS Grid: SO970078

Mapcode National: GBR 2NR.S6F

Mapcode Global: VHB29.JSF6

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 26 November 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1305556

English Heritage Legacy ID: 127146

Location: Duntisbourne Abbots, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Duntisbourne Abbots

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Duntisbourne Abbots St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Miserden

Listing Text

SO 9607-9707 DUNTISBOURNE ABBOTS DUNTISBOURNE ABBOTS VILLAGE

9/45 Church of St. Peter

26.11.58

GV II*

Parish church. C12 with C13 fenestration; C13 chancel and C15
tower; south aisle added by Waller & Son in 1872 restoration.
Random rubble and dressed limestone; stone slate roof. Nave with
north and south aisles; chancel, west tower and south porch;
vestry to north of chancel. Tower of 2 stages with parapet gables
to saddleback roof; C13 2-light west window with hoodmould; small
lancet to south in Norman opening; square-headed bell openings to
3 faces of belfry, each with quatrefoil-pierced stone grille.
North aisle with lean-to roof: C14 2-light to west and very large
quoins in north west corner; 2 paired C13 windows with trefoil
heads in square openings face north. Double pitcned roof to south
aisle with re-erected Early English south doorway with hoodmould
and repositioned south porch: pierced cross porch vent in square
opening over pointed arch; brass memorial shield to Anthony Sly,
dated 1736, mounted to left of porch arch; stone sundial above
vent; stone seats inside each with small lancet above in side
wall; C19 roof. South aisle has paired, very plain lancets in
south wall, and a paired lancet with hoodmould in west end wall;
single lancet in east with quatrefoil in tracery over trefoil head;
single buttress with offsets to south wall. East window to
chancel is 2-light with plate tracery; single trefoil-headed
lancet in north wall, 2 in south; clasping buttress at south east
corner. North vestry has shouldered arched doorway and single
trefoil-headed lancet facing east. All gables have parapets with
cross-gablet saddles and trefoil-headed side panels.
Interior was completely scraped in 1872 restoration and now has
ribbon-pointed masonry. 2-bay north and south nave arcades: the
north is Transitional, the single cylindrical column having a
scalloped capital; matching C19 arcade to south. Late Norman
tower arch with plain abaci to piers. Chancel arch is triplet by
Waller: base walls with chamfered corners and pyramid stops below
side arches support paired granite columns with crocket capitals,
trefoil heads to side arches. 4-bay nave root with king-post.
trusses and curved wind braces; wagon roof in south aisle with
corbel table above arcade. Pointed arched openings from south
aisle and chancel into organ chamber. Raised stone floor is
chancel; walls plastered late C20; C19 3-bay roof with arched
braced collar-trusses and curved wind braces; round arched doorway
into vestry. Square-headed aumbry in east chancel wall; pedestal
piscina in south at very low level due to raising of floor in C19.
Flat-fronted C19 stone lecturn in nave; Medieval stone coffin in
north aisle, and square-headed aumbry in north wall; very small
aumbry in south wall at east end of aisle; circular Norman stone
font in south aisle with carved trilobed foliage to bowl in low
relief; south door is possibly Medieval with C15 closing ring;
some C19 memorial tablets especially at west end of nave. Stained
glass to all windows by Lavers, Barraud & Westlake of 1878 causes a
very dark interior. Originally a possession of St. Peter's Abbey,
Gloucester. Commanding position in village. (D. Verey,
Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979; A. Carver, The Story of
Duntisbourne Abbots, 1966.)


Listing NGR: SO9708007896

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.