This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9053 / 52°54'19"N
Longitude: 0.8257 / 0°49'32"E
OS Eastings: 590130
OS Northings: 337946
OS Grid: TF901379
Mapcode National: GBR R6B.ZHX
Mapcode Global: WHKPS.N7DK
Entry Name: Mid 19 Century Cart House Cattle Sheds Stables Barn and Waggon Lodge (With Granary Over) to East of Egmere Farmhouse
Listing Date: 15 February 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305563
English Heritage Legacy ID: 223063
Location: Walsingham, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR22
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Walsingham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Holkham St Withburga
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 93 NW GREAT WALSINGHAM EGMERE ROAD
942/3/151A Mid C19 cart house, cattle
sheds, stables, barn and
waggon lodge (with granary
15.02.1979 over) to east of Egmere
Farmstead. 1851-6 with late C19 and C20 alterations. By G.A. Dean, architect, for the Holkham Estate. Brick with slate and pantile coverings to the roofs, which, except the barn, are hipped.
PLAN: complex formed of separate blocks to east and west. To the east, a BARN and STABLES form the west side of an enclosed STACK YARD, its south side enclosed by a WAGGON LODGE, with a GRANARY above. To the west, 6 CATTLE YARDS, arranged back-to-back, and divided by 2 rows of LOOSE BOXES with end TURNIP HOUSES.
EXTERIOR, EAST BLOCK: barn with possibly earlier core, now re-roofed, and with a blocked threshing door. Stables to south of barn face onto roadway between blocks of buildings. The stable is divided into 4 units, each with a central doorway flanked by windows. Rear walls with pitching holes served from stackyard. Waggon lodge on south side of stackyard comprising 7 bays on either side of a wide central stairway.
INTERIOR, EAST BLOCK: barn sub-divided by a concrete wall inserted c.1870. Shouldered king post trusses support purlin roof. Stable interior retains many original fittings, including feeding troughs and mangers, which indicate the stalling of horses across the gable. Harness rooms along rear wall, flanking central chaff box. Granary above waggon lodge retains grain bins on east side and trap door and lifting gear to west.
EXTERIOR, WEST BLOCK: cattle yards with dividing walls now removed, leaving 3 large yards. Each has a shelter shed to the north, with an arcaded front formed by cast-iron columns. On the south side of the 2 northerly yards are ranges of sunken loose boxes (8 on each side of the passage) with a central feed passage and turnip house opening onto the roadway to the west. To the north of the cattle range is a range of 4 outward facing cartlodges on either side of a turnip house and on the south, a trap house, riding horse stable and poultry houses.
INTERIOR, WEST BLOCK: loose boxes have stall dividers and mangers, although some mangers have been re-positioned. Roofs supported by shouldered king post trusses.
HISTORY: an example of the work of a notable specialist architect, and one of only 4 surviving farmsteads designed by Dean. The design is remarkably functional in character, in contrast to his embellished designs for the home farms at Windsor and Holkham. In its little-altered form, Egmere Farm graphically illustrates the quality of farmsteads erected in the High Farming' era.
Listing NGR: TF9013037946
Other nearby listed buildings