History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gunthorpe, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8769 / 52°52'36"N

Longitude: 0.9884 / 0°59'18"E

OS Eastings: 601203

OS Northings: 335228

OS Grid: TG012352

Mapcode National: GBR S88.QQ7

Mapcode Global: WHLR0.4YYD

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 6 March 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1305722

English Heritage Legacy ID: 223582

Location: Gunthorpe, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR24

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Gunthorpe

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Gunthorpe St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Sharrington

Listing Text

TG 03 NW GUNTHORPE GUNTHORPE
4/86

6.3.59 Church of St Mary

II*


Parish Church. Flint with brick dressings and variegated green and blue slated roof.
Perpendicular west tower, nave and north transept; south porch and chancel restored
1863-1864 presumably by Frederick Preedey of Worcester architect, designer of the
stained glass. West tower of 4 stages with buttresses, three 2-light belfry windows
west window of C18 honeycomb brick; chequer work battlements. Nave three 3-light
Perpendicular windows to south. Two 3-light to north. Three-light transept north
window. Chancel one 2-light Perpendicular south window; one C19 window EE 2-light;
east window c1400 3-light Decorated with lozenges quatrefoils. South porch by Preedey
with Annunciation group in niche in gable. South door and blocked nave north door of
c1300. C15 font. Nave roof and chancel details of 1863-64; cahncel arch low. Te
Deum reredos, arched braced nave and chancel roofs. High Victorian stained glass;
east window 1863 by William Warrington, 4 chancel windows, one nave and one tower west
window designed by Preedey.


Listing NGR: TG0120335228

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.