History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Dolphin Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Stisted, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8799 / 51°52'47"N

Longitude: 0.6069 / 0°36'24"E

OS Eastings: 579528

OS Northings: 223363

OS Grid: TL795233

Mapcode National: GBR QK9.487

Mapcode Global: VHJJK.G0PN

Entry Name: The Dolphin Public House

Listing Date: 6 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1305782

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116278

Location: Stisted, Braintree, Essex, CM77

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Stisted

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stisted All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Stisted

Listing Text

TL 72 SE STISTED COGGESHALL ROAD
(north side)

4/261 The Dolphin Public
House

GV II

House, now public house. Mid-C16, altered in C18. Timber framed, plastered,
roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Single range facing SE comprising one
long bay, and one short bay at each end. C19 internal stack against front wall
of long bay. C17/18 one-bay extension to left, with external stack at end. One
storey with attics. Single-storey lean-to extension with slate roof at rear,
and C20 flat-roofed single-storey extension beyond. 3 C20 and 2 C19 sashes, and
4 C20 sashes in slate-roofed lean-to dormers. C20 door. Gambrel roof,
half-hipped at right end. Chamfered axial beam with step stops in each bay;
plain joists of horizontal section jointed to it with soffit tenons with
diminished haunches. Trimmed stair trap, blocked, in rear of right bay. The
former partition between this bay and the long bay has been removed, and the
rear half of the beam. Most of the studding of the rear wall has been removed
for the bar and for modern apertures. The left extension has plain joists
arranged longitudinally, supported on a pegged clamp, and some modern joists.
The frame is illustrated in C.A. Hewett, The Development of Carpentry,
1200-1700, an Essex Study, 1969, 150 (wrongly attributed to the parish of
Bradwell-juxta-Coggeshall). Hewett dated it c.1565, but the step stops indicate
that this is the latest possible date. RCHM 14.


Listing NGR: TL7952823363

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.