This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8414 / 50°50'29"N
Longitude: -3.0513 / 3°3'4"W
OS Eastings: 326076
OS Northings: 105183
OS Grid: ST260051
Mapcode National: GBR M3.W8SR
Mapcode Global: FRA 46HW.331
Entry Name: West Barn Approximately 23 Metres North of Land Farm House
Listing Date: 19 October 1984
Last Amended: 16 October 2013
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305866
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88096
Location: Membury, East Devon, Devon, EX13
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Membury
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Membury
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Former mid- to late-C19 barn, converted to residential use in the late C20.
Materials: it is constructed of rubble stone under a slate tile roof. The south elevation of the principal range is slate hung.
Plan: L-shaped barn, orientated north to south with an angled range running from the south end of the barn.
Exterior: the former barn is of one and a half storeys with a gabled roof. The principal elevation (east) comprises a former cart entrance at the centre with cambered arch. To the left is a gable with tall window, formerly a taking-in door. To the right is the surviving west half of the single-storey range with Roman tiles to the roof. The south elevation of the barn is slate hung and has two tall windows at first floor.
Interior: not inspected (2013).
The List entry for West Barn describes the building as C18. It is not depicted on the 1842 tithe map which suggests that the building is no earlier than the mid-C19. The barn is first shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1890) orientated north to south, with an east range projection at the north end and a diagonally projecting range to the south. The east range originally linked with the former agricultural building (now Lancet Barn and Land Cottage) to the east, creating a U-shaped plan. The western half of the range has since been demolished. These agricultural buildings which were converted to dwellings in the late C20 were formerly associated with the Grade II listed Land Farm House to the south. This early-C16 farmhouse was the birthplace of Thomas Wakley (1795-1862), surgeon and medical reformer, and founder of the medical journal ‘The Lancet’.
Drawings submitted with the planning application (1988) for its conversion indicate that West Barn appears to retain its double-height space to the centre of the main part with first-floor bedrooms to either end, while the east range is a kitchen and a garage. It is understood that the south wing serves as an outbuilding.
West Barn, a mid- to late-C19 former agricultural building, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Legibility: despite conversion, the original function of the building: a barn with central taking-in doors, remains legible;
* Group value: forms a coherent group with the C16 Land Farm House to the south and the mid- to late C19 former stables, Land Cottage and Lancet Barn, to the east, which are both listed at Grade II.
Other nearby listed buildings