This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9187 / 52°55'7"N
Longitude: 1.3315 / 1°19'53"E
OS Eastings: 624069
OS Northings: 340893
OS Grid: TG240408
Mapcode National: GBR WDB.1GB
Mapcode Global: WHMS3.FW9V
Entry Name: Overstrand Hall
Listing Date: 27 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305906
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224690
Location: Overstrand, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR27
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Overstrand
Built-Up Area: Overstrand
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Overstrand St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
Large house, used to be a convalescent home, now a family residence.
1899 by Sir Edwin Lutyens for second
Lord Hillingdon. Flint with brick, tile and stone dressings, tiles.
Tile roof. Rectangular in plan with central courtyard and service range
to north west corner. South front of 4 bays, 2 storeys. Loggia to
central 2 bays, the upper, timbered, storey supported on arched braces;
2 6-light mullioned and transomed oak windows, the upper row of lights
continuing at the sides to form 9 lights; all leaded. To either side
of the central bays is a 2-storey 5-sided canted bay, the angles having
brick quoins; each face of both storeys has a cross-mullioned leaded
window, the horizontal members of stone and the mullion of brick. All
the remaining windows are of this pattern. The canted bays have a flat
roof but there is a tile hung gable behind. Central axial brick stack.
The east front is of 4 bays, 2 storeys with similar flanking bays and
windows. Central 2 bays each have a pair of Tuscan columns with
semicircular arches, those to the right are open forming a loggia reached
by shallow steps; to the right the arches are blocked with brick contain-
ing a lunette. The two central bays on the first floor each have a 6-
light mullioned and transomed window. Parapet gable from the centre of
which rises a tall chimney of 2 lozenge-shaped brick shafts. The west,
entrance, front of 2 storeys has irregular fenestration. To the right
a massive external chimney stack to the ground floor, tapering, the
shoulders with tumbling-in and rising to 2 separate rectangular brick
shafts. Central small entrance doorway, stone dressed, with keystone.
On its left a 6-light mullioned and transomed window. To the right a
2-light mullioned window. Above the doorway a blank stone panel, then
a 12-light mullioned window under the eaves. Through the entrance archway
is a square courtyard paved with York stone, millstones and bricks, the
opposite wall has a 3-bay arcade of Tuscan columns with semicircular
arches with a circular pool under the central arch; a shallow flight of
steps from both of the flanking bays rises to the central, main, entrance
door which is dated 1900; the doorway has a stone surround and
semicircular arched head with keystone; flanked by lunettes with stone
dressings and keystones, iron glazing bars. Above the arcade are two
bands of tiles which continue round the courtyard, the upper one at sill
level of 3 2-light mullioned windows to each face. To the left a central
doorway with semicircular arched head and a 4-light mullion; to right
2 3-light mullioned and transomed windows. To the rear, entrance from
west front a skeleton archway supported on concave stone piers. Interior.
Heavily timbered dining room and staircase, panelled drawing room and
library. Door furniture and window furniture all still in situ.
Listing NGR: TG2406940893
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings