This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5304 / 52°31'49"N
Longitude: 1.4262 / 1°25'34"E
OS Eastings: 632484
OS Northings: 298024
OS Grid: TM324980
Mapcode National: GBR WK3.7DW
Mapcode Global: VHM62.NNTJ
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 5 September 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305975
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227391
Location: Mundham, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Mundham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Mundham St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM 39 NW MUNDHAM BROOKE ROAD
3/44 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. Medieval. 'Flint with stone dressings. Pantile and slate roofs.
West tower, C12 nave, C19 north aisle, south porch, C14 chancel. Embattled
tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses to west. Restored west window of
2 cupsed lights with a perpendicular member rising from the head of each light;
hood mould; some brick voussoirs. Small single cusped lights with hood moulds
to the ringing chamber. Bell-openings as west window. Flushwork battlement
with pinnacles at angles. 3-bay nave with added buttresses to south. 2
restored 3 ogee-light windows, under square hood moulds. North aisle of 1887
has 2 similar windows. C19 doorway in west wall of aisle. No clerestorey.
Unbuttressed chancel of 2 bays with 2 restored 2-light Decorated windows to
south with hood moulds with figure stops. Similar window to north. East window
C19 Decorated. Unbuttressed south porch to first nave bay. C19 2-light windows
to east and west; archway with polygonal shafts, capitals and bases with hollow
chamfer to arch; continuous outer order; hood mould. Blocked niche over.
Elaborately carved C12 nave doorway of 3 orders. Chevron moulded and plain
shafts; intermediate angles with concave flowers, pyramidal and cable mouldings.
Arch with chevron, paired scroll and billet mouldings. Interior: stoup beside
south door. Nave arcade of 2 bays of 1887. Westernmost nave bay is used as
a vestry, the wall to nave with medieval paintings including St. Christopher.
Opening in south wall of tower having brick reveals and arch, possibly a wafer
oven. Tower arch with imposts. Nave roof with embattled wall plate. Plain
ashlaring, scissor-braces. C15 rood screen with cavetto moulding to middle
rail, remains of crenellation to top rail. Chancel: restored piscina.
Arch braced roof with roll-moulded wall plate, purlins and braces. C19 font;
remains of C12 font bowl and supporting shafts with some capitals in tower.
Royal arms dated 1743 GIIR.
Listing NGR: TM3248498024
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings