This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7415 / 50°44'29"N
Longitude: -3.07 / 3°4'11"W
OS Eastings: 324599
OS Northings: 94093
OS Grid: SY245940
Mapcode National: GBR PD.VQPR
Mapcode Global: FRA 47G3.V51
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 8 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306053
English Heritage Legacy ID: 87923
Location: Colyton, East Devon, Devon, EX24
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Colyton
Built-Up Area: Colyton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Colyton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 2494 COLYTON VICARAGE STREET
8.5.67 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Mainly C15 and early C16 with circa 1200 work in lower parts of
tower and chancel. Work of 1765 and 1816. Restored after a fire in 1933. Stone
rubble, ashlar and knapped flint. Slate roofs.
Comprising nave, north and south aisles, chancel, north and south chapels and
transepts and crossing tower.
C15 nave with large restored perpendicular west window and west doorway. Upper part
of the nave, and north and south arcades rebuilt in 1765 and 1816. Early C14 five
light east window with geometric tracery. Embattled ashlar parapets to nave, south
aisle and south transept. Ashlar two storeyed south porch with external stairs.
Crossing tower with two light bell openings, embattled parapet with pinnacles,
gargoyles and late C15 octagonal top stage with two light windows, gargoyles,
battlements with pinnacles and small flying buttresses to pinnacles at the corners.
Interior: Four bay north and south arcades rebuilt in C18 and early C19. Stone
screen to south chancel chapel circa 1530. Jacobean stone screen to north chancel
Good monuments including: Margaret Countess of Devon 1449. Sir John Pole 1658 and
wife 1628, possibly by Gerard Johnson of Southwark. Sir William Pole (died 1635),
the antiquary, lies in the Pole Chapel without a memorial. Other C17 Pole
monuments. William Westover 1615. W Drake 1680.
Fragments of Saxon cross of circa late C10. Brass Candelabra of 1796. Stained
glass west window by Hardman.
C19 and C20 furnishings and roofs. The roofs of the nave and south aisle were
destroyed by a fire in 1933.
In the churchyard a few C18/19 tomb chests.
Listing NGR: SY2458594091
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings