History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boxtedds

A Grade II Listed Building in Earls Colne, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9253 / 51°55'31"N

Longitude: 0.7079 / 0°42'28"E

OS Eastings: 586296

OS Northings: 228662

OS Grid: TL862286

Mapcode National: GBR QJV.CSG

Mapcode Global: VHKFP.7V3Y

Entry Name: Boxtedds

Listing Date: 21 June 1962

Last Amended: 10 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306071

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115962

Location: Earls Colne, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Earls Colne

Built-Up Area: Earls Colne

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Earls Colne St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Earls Colne

Listing Text

TL 8628-8728 EARLS COLNE UPPER HOLT STREET
(north side)

9/114 No. 9 (Boxtedds)
21.6.62 (formerly listed as
Holt House under High Street)

GV II

House. Circa 1682, altered in early C19. Timber framed, part plastered, part
weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Main range facing SE,
with internal end stacks, and rear range forming a T-plan. 2 storeys and
attics. Ground floor, 2 splayed bays of sashes. First floor, 3 early C19
sashes with glazing bars and side-lights, the central window having a
semi-circular head. Central early C19 doorcase with simple pediment, wrought
iron porch with flat canopy. Moulded and dentilled eaves cornice. Gambrel
roof. Early C19 railings along frontage, attached to house at both ends. Much
C17 and early C19 internal detailing, including stop-chamfered beams, fireplaces
and doors. Manor court rolls record this house as recently built in 1683 by
John Hatch. The name goes back to a rental of 1400 (Wherein I Dwell, Earls
Colne WEA, 1983, 66). RCHM 17.


Listing NGR: TL8629628662

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.