History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Colne Priory

A Grade II Listed Building in Earls Colne, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9268 / 51°55'36"N

Longitude: 0.7104 / 0°42'37"E

OS Eastings: 586460

OS Northings: 228835

OS Grid: TL864288

Mapcode National: GBR QJW.0G2

Mapcode Global: VHKFP.8TFS

Entry Name: Colne Priory

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Last Amended: 10 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306123

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115943

Location: Earls Colne, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Earls Colne

Built-Up Area: Earls Colne

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Earls Colne St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Earls Colne

Listing Text

TL 8628-8728 EARLS COLNE LOWER HOLT STREET
(north side)

9/95 Colne Priory (formerly
7.8.52 listed as Earls Colne
Priory)

GV II

House. 1825 for Henry Holgate Carwardine, incorporating remains of mid-C18
house. Gothick style, in red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red
plain tiles. Originally an L-plan facing SW, with single-storey extension to SE
and NE. 2 storeys. SW front has 2 ranges, the right having a steeply pitched
roof, parapet wall and parapetted verges; the left range has a simple parapet
rising at the corners, with low-pitched roofs behind. 2:3 window range of
sashes with glazing bars, with square heads in recessed 2-centred brick arches.
Those in left range have 2-centred heads with decorative glazing bars. Large
2-centred arch to entrance. White and cream chimney pots in the form of C16
grouped decorative shafts. The NW elevation has a small tower with sashes with
square heads and 2-centred drip-moulds on gauged brick arches, and crenellated
parapet; projecting full-height bay with arcaded ground floor of 2-centred
arches. String courses. Late C19 extension has large original casements with
2-centred heads. On site of Benedictine Priory. (Wherein I Dwell, Earls Colne
WEA, 1983, 69). RCHM 2.


Listing NGR: TL8646028835

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.