This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8626 / 52°51'45"N
Longitude: 1.3963 / 1°23'46"E
OS Eastings: 628714
OS Northings: 334856
OS Grid: TG287348
Mapcode National: GBR WDZ.KSX
Mapcode Global: WHMSJ.F93V
Entry Name: Church of St Botolph
Listing Date: 16 April 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306175
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224309
Location: Trunch, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR28
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Trunch
Built-Up Area: Trunch
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Trunch with Swafiels and Bradfield
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TRUNCH FRONT STREET
TG 23 SE
3/95 Church of St. Botolph
Parish church. Late C14, restored 1881. Flint with ashlar quoins and lead
roofs. West tower, nave, aisles and chancel. 4 stage tower, each stage of
diminishing size, supported by stepped diagonal buttresses. String courses
between floors. 3-light Perpendicular west window. 2-light ringing chamber
windows with arches supporting reticulation unit. 2-light ogeed belfry
windows carrying central 4-petalled vesica. Nave aisles with stepped side
buttressing. 2-light west aisle windows with renewed Perpendicular tracery.
Gabled south porch entered through wave moulded arch. Blocked side windows
under hood moulds. Double wave moulded inner south door with hood mould on
labels. Arched north door. 3 aisle windows north and south of 2-lights and
alternating design : panel tracery and 4-petal flower motif. Eastern aisle
windows have petals (south) and panel tracery (north). Clerestory of 4 2-
light basket-arched windows with cusped ogival lights. Eastern nave gable
repaired in brick, as is chancel parapet. Chancel lit through 2 early
Perpendicular 3-light side windows. On south side windows separated by a
stepped buttress springing from apex of gabled porch leading to priests' door.
Moulded arched entrance. Diagonal east buttresses and 3-light transomed east.
window. Interior. 4 bay arcade of octagonal piers with moulded capitals
and bases. Double chamfered arches. Clerestory windows over apexes. Hollow
and wave moulded tower arch on semi-circular responds. Double hollow
chamfered chancel arch with responds terminating in polygonal capitals.
Hammerbeam nave roof for which bequest exists dated 1486. Repaired 1897 and
1976-84. Hammerbeams on arched braces, alternately dropping to wall posts.
Wall posts enriched by capitals and bases and rest on corbels in form of
angels bearing shields and scrolls. Hammerposts carry arched braces to
principals. Hammerpost and hammerbeam spandrels pierced with geometric
tracery patterns. Hammerbeams terminate in carved angels bearing scrolls,
shields and instruments of passion. One tier butt purlins and ridge piece
with fleuron bosses. All timbers are moulded. Aisle roofs repaired 1897:
arched braces to principals and butt purlins, all timbers moulded. Octagonal
C14 font with flushwork tracery to stem and cusped petal tracery panels to
bowl. Magnificant oak font canopy c.1500 in 2 stages. Lower stage of 6
hexagonal annulated posts carved with leaf and vegetative trails supporting
elaborate cusped fan vault with central pendant. Second stage also hexagonal.
with blank panels originally painted (Crucifixion scene just recognisable
on one panel). Panels separated by crocketted buttresses rising to groups
of 3 nodding ogee canopies to each panel. Each canopy with miniture vaults
and each rise through foliage carved barrels to cured crenellated tops. Cap
of 6 crocketed ogee open arches meeting at central finial. This font canopy
is one of 4 surviving in England. Chancel screen dated 1502. 3 bays right
and left of arched opening. Dado panels divided on west side into 2 ogeed
lights and painted with figures of saints : Saints Thomas, Philip,
James Minor, Matthew, James Major, Peter, Paul, Andrew, John, Jude, Simon,
Bartholemew. Round-headed upper tracery heads above crocketed ogees. In
chancel 6 C16 choir stalls with misericords. Chancel roof of 1907. North
wall of chancel with wall monument to Launcelot Thexton 1588. Ashlar.
Pediment carried on pair of strapwork pilasters. Between pilasters a rounded
recess carved with a cloak, shield and helmet above brass inscription panel.
Apron below in form of opposing strapwork scrolls. Repaired angle piscina.
Listing NGR: TG2871434856
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings