History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Swafield, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8466 / 52°50'47"N

Longitude: 1.3936 / 1°23'37"E

OS Eastings: 628621

OS Northings: 333072

OS Grid: TG286330

Mapcode National: GBR WF5.K56

Mapcode Global: WHMSJ.CQW3

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 16 April 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306194

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224307

Location: Swafield, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR28

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Swafield

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Trunch with Swafiels and Bradfield

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Trunch

Listing Text

SWAFIELD TRUNCH ROAD
TG 23 SE
3/93 Church of St. Nicholas
16.4.55
- II*

Parish church. Early C14 west tower, nave and chancel C15. Restored 1861
and 1958. Flint with ashlars dressings. Nave thatched, chancel roof of
slate. 3 stage tower, externally undivided, supported by diagonal buttresses
to first stage only. 3-light Perpendicular west window. Brick lattice slits
to ringing chamber and 2-light Perpendicular belfry windows. Crenellated
parapet with flushwork. Diagonal nave buttresses to west, otherwise stepped
side buttresses. Gabled south porch with hollow and wave moulded arched
entrance. Inner doorway with similar mouldings and late C15 door.
Cinquefoiled cusped side lights to porch. Blocked north door. 3 3-light
ogeed Perpendicular panel tracery nave windows to north and south under brick
relieving arches. 2 3-light Perpendicular windows to north and south chancel
walls separated by a stepped buttress. Priests' door to south. Diagonal
east buttresses flank 4-light C19 Perpendicular east window. Rood staircase
impinges on one light of eastern nave window on north side. Interior.
Chamfered tower arch. Hollow chamfered chancel arch with semi-circular
responds and polygonal capitals. Nave roof of moulded arched braces rising
to moulded principals. One tier butt purlins and ridge piece, both also
moulded. Junction of principals and ridge piece covered by bosses. C19
chancel roof of arched braces to principals, collars, one tier moulded butt
purlins and ridge piece. Octagonal C19 font with traceried stem and quatre-
foils to bowl. C15 chancel screen extensively restored but retaining
traceried dado with 8 painted panels depicting Saints. Ogeed piscina in
chancel with tracery panels above arch.


Listing NGR: TG2862133072

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.