History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles

A Grade II* Listed Building in Swafield, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8494 / 52°50'57"N

Longitude: 1.3668 / 1°22'0"E

OS Eastings: 626797

OS Northings: 333302

OS Grid: TG267333

Mapcode National: GBR WF4.BCV

Mapcode Global: WHMSH.ZM0X

Entry Name: Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 16 April 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306217

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224299

Location: Swafield, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR28

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Swafield

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Trunch with Swafiels and Bradfield

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Trunch

Listing Text

SWAFIELD BRADFIELD
TG 23 SE
CHURCH ROAD
3/85 Church of St. Giles
16.4.55
- II*

Parish church. C14 with west tower of late C15. Flint with ashlar quoins
and slate roofs. Nave and chancel. Nave aisles removed and church partly
rebuilt 1786. 4 stage tower with string courses between floors. Diagonal
stepped buttresses. 3-light west window. Square ringing chamber windows
pierced with tracery of 4 mouchettes in diagonal petal disposition. 2-light
square-headed belfry windows. Stair turret to south-east. Nave with stepped
side buttresses, those between windows rebuilt in new position 1786. Gabled
south porch of rendered brick with ashlar quoins, all rebuilt. Over arched
entrance a date plaque commemorating reconstruction of church. 3 2-light
Y tracery windows to nave, each in centre of blocked arcade openings. Chancel
supported by one stepped side buttress to south and eastern polygonal turrets
topped by crocketed finials. 2 3-light cusped intersecting south windows
with hoods on head stops. Arched priests' door deflects path of string course
running beneath window sills. 5-light cusped intersecting chancel east
window. North chancel with one blocked window to west of lean-to C18 pantiled
vestry of rendered brick construction. Arched doorway to east, 2-light Y
traceried window to north. Interior. Octagonal piers of 4-bay arcade survive
embedded in nave walls with polygonal moulded capitals and hollow chamfered
arches. Tall wave moulded tower arch with semi-circular responds. Similar
chancel arch with octagonal responds and polygonal capitals. Fine C14 scissor
braced roof with collars and ashlaring. Octagonal C15 font with engaged
columns to stem framing ogee arches. Bowl alternately decorated with panels
of twin ogee arches and 4-lobed petal tracery. C14 wall painting over chancel
arch depicts Christ exhibiting his wounds. Arched priests' door in north
chancel wall leads into vestry. To left blocked window, to right basket-
arched recess. Cinquefoiled arched piscina in south wall. C18 chancel roof
of thin scantling : collars on arched braces, principals and 2 tiers taper-
tenoned butt purlins.


Listing NGR: TG2679733302

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.