History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clark's Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Kelvedon, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8309 / 51°49'51"N

Longitude: 0.6793 / 0°40'45"E

OS Eastings: 584716

OS Northings: 218087

OS Grid: TL847180

Mapcode National: GBR QKZ.4LJ

Mapcode Global: VHJJS.Q7HT

Entry Name: Clark's Farmhouse

Listing Date: 29 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306239

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116467

Location: Kelvedon, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Kelvedon

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Kelvedon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Rivenhall

Listing Text

KELVEDON CRABB'S LANE
TL 8418-1518 (north side)

9/153 Clark's Farmhouse

GV II

House. Early C17, altered in C18 and C20. Timber framed, roughcast rendered,
roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 5 bays facing SW, with 2 axial stacks.
C18 dairy wing to rear near left end, and single-storey lean-to extension to
left of it. Crosswing with near-central stack at right end, c.1919, and
contemporary flat-roofed single-storey corridor extension along rear of main
range. 2 storeys with original attic. Ground floor, 3 C20 casements, early C20
square bay attached to right side of porch, C20 French windows. First floor, 4
C20 casements. 2 C20 casements in hipped dormers, and one more in gable of
crosswing. C20 half-glazed door in gabled porch. Jowled posts, heavy studding,
chamfered binding and bridging beams with lamb's tongue stops, some with an
additional notch; joists plastered to the soffits. Above first floor, chamfered
straight tiebeams and bridging beams with lamb's tongue-plus-notch stops.
Storey heights approx. 2.30 metres on ground floor, 2.40 metres on first floor.
Original straight staircase with chamfered newel post with lamb's tongue stops,
and serpentine flat balusters and moulded handrail on first-floor landing and up
to attic. The right end of the main range is reported to have been damaged by
fire in 1919, and the crosswing built soon afterwards. RCHM 54.


Listing NGR: TL8471618087

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.