History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1, Market Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in Coggeshall, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8712 / 51°52'16"N

Longitude: 0.686 / 0°41'9"E

OS Eastings: 585007

OS Northings: 222590

OS Grid: TL850225

Mapcode National: GBR QKF.L81

Mapcode Global: VHJJL.V70C

Entry Name: 1, Market Hill

Listing Date: 31 October 1966

Last Amended: 6 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306268

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116171

Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Coggeshall

Built-Up Area: Coggeshall

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Coggeshall

Listing Text

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL MARKET HILL
(west side)

9/143 No. 1 (formerly listed
31.10.66 in Nos. 1/2)

GV II

House, now shop. Late C16, altered in C17, early C19 and C20. Timber framed,
mainly plastered, some infill of red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade
red plain tiles. 2 bays facing E, the left return angled sharply inwards
towards the rear. C17 stair-tower to rear right with C20 flat roof, C19
catslide to rear left with C20 stack. C20 single-storey extension beyond, with
flat roof, the whole forming a triangular plan. 2 storeys. Ground floor, C20
double shopfront with central recessed entrance and glazed door. First floor, 2
early C19 sashes of 16 lights with crown glass, in original apertures. One
early C19 sash of 12 lights in altered aperture of left return. At rear, C20
casement in gabled dormer. Underbuilt jetty at front. In the ground floor the
partition wall between the bays, and the rear wall, have been removed, and a C20
brick wall in front of the rear wall has been inserted. Exposed studding in
right wall. The left wall has been infilled with C18/19 brick from ground to
apex of roof. Chamfered binding beam and chamfered bridging beams, unstopped;
joists plastered to the soffits. In the rear wall of the lean-to is an C18
borrowed light of 20 panes of handmade glass with original rectangular leading,
a feature meriting special care. On the upper storey the studding is intact and
mainly exposed. Jowled posts. The post at the front left corner has some
charring; a photograph of 1897 shows the adjacent building destroyed by fire.
The destroyed building was The Red Lion Inn (J.S. Gardner (ed.), Coggeshall,
Essex, 1951, 33). Some evidence of former oriel windows at front. Chamfered
axial beams, unstopped, and plain joists of vertical section jointed to them
with central tenons and housed soffits. Clasped purlin roof with straight
wind-braces. The C17 winder stair has plain newels and simply moulded
handrails, fully-jointed and pegged, all sand-blasted. Includes RCHM 52.


Listing NGR: TL8500722590

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.