This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8238 / 52°49'25"N
Longitude: 1.5337 / 1°32'1"E
OS Eastings: 638178
OS Northings: 330990
OS Grid: TG381309
Mapcode National: GBR XGW.YCC
Mapcode Global: WHMSS.J9K2
Entry Name: St Mary's Including 2 Summerhouses
Listing Date: 11 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306318
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224262
Location: Happisburgh, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Happisburgh
Built-Up Area: Happisburgh
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Happisburgh St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/10/2012
TG 33 SE
St Mary's including
House, now restaurant and Country Club. 1900 by Detmar Blow for the Cators, a
local Roman Catholic family. Vernacular Domestic Revival style. Pebble flint
with brick and tile dressings and thatched roofs. Butterfly or X plan. 2
storeys and attics. Entrance front with central single storey gabled porch:
oak door under lintel of Roman tiles with flint chequerwork and brick.
5-light leaded casements either side and 2 first floor dormers under eyebrow
thatching. These flank central 2 storey gabled dormer with brick diaper. At
north-west and south-west are gabled wings with single 4-light ground floor,
3-light first floor and 3-light attic floor casements. Brick quoins, attic
floor platband and tumbling. Purlin irons with lettering: AVE MARIA STELLA
MARIS on all gables. Returns of both south wings on entrance front pierced by
one casement on ground floors and 2 to first floors. Gabled roofs. 2 dormers
below eyebrow thatching. Forest of romantically placed stacks. Interior.
Central panelled room. Fireplace decorated with coat of arms, date 1900 and
motto. Panelled room also in south-west wing. Stone stairs to south.
Between south wings a quadrant flint and brick wall. Between north wings a
quadrant single storey service block with brick stack. At north-east and
south-east corners 2 flint and brick summerhouses with hipped roofs attached
to encircling wall and linked to house..
St Marys is said to be the first "fully-worked" example of the four-wing
butterfly plan house and influenced architects such as Prior and Lutyens.
Source: R J Holder, Victorian Society correspondence.
Listing NGR: TG3817830990
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings