This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0141 / 52°0'50"N
Longitude: 0.7094 / 0°42'33"E
OS Eastings: 586029
OS Northings: 238539
OS Grid: TL860385
Mapcode National: GBR QHQ.L63
Mapcode Global: VHKF9.7MWV
Entry Name: The Ryes
Listing Date: 22 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306332
English Heritage Legacy ID: 115825
Location: Little Henny, Braintree, Essex, CO10
Civil Parish: Little Henny
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great and Little Henny
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 83 NE
5/104 The Ryes
House, now private school. Built 1809, by Robert Lugar, extended and altered
in 1884 by F.F. Bishop. Grey gault brick, with grey slate roof. 2 storeys.
3 bays, with centre recessed, wings left and right, both originally gabled,
the left hand wing is now hipped. South west wing is addition of 1884, masking
south front. 3:1:1 window range; early and late C19 vertical sliding sashes
with glazing bars. Original central stone Doric portico with pairs of fluted
columns and entablature. E end rear has 2 storey semi-circular bay window,
with 3 early C19 vertical sliding sashes with glazing bars, above and below.
Wide oversailing eaves with paired brackets. Internally much original detailing
survives including doors, fire surrounds and ceilings. The dining room has
Egyptian columns and pilasters, segmental sashes and shutters. Service wing
on north-west side, with large late C19 staircase.
Listing NGR: TL8602938539
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings