This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6862 / 52°41'10"N
Longitude: 0.5825 / 0°34'57"E
OS Eastings: 574654
OS Northings: 312962
OS Grid: TF746129
Mapcode National: GBR P62.J38
Mapcode Global: WHKQM.XRK2
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 23 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306406
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220916
Location: Narborough, Breckland, Norfolk, PE32
Civil Parish: Narborough
Built-Up Area: Narborough
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Narborough All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 71 SW NARBOROUGH MAIN ROAD
2/13 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint with ashlar and some brick
dressings. Slate roofs. Tower at western end of south aisle; aisled nave;
chancel. West wall of nave was formerly flush with the west wall of the tower.
C13/C14 tower with one diagonal buttress, one south facing buttress to south
east angle and one facing- north at north west angle. Lancet window to ground
floor, single quatrefoils at first floor to east and south and a flat headed
loop to west. Carved gargoyle at former join with nave roof. 3 original 2-
light Y-traceried bell-openings and one 3-light panel-traceried replacement
to east. Crenellated parapet. Vestry, dated 1906, to north of tower. C12
semicircular headed blocked north nave door partially obscured by a lean-to
boiler house. North aisle with a blocked late-Medieval doorway and 4 2-light
and one 3-light C19 traceried windows in Perpendicular style. Taller eastern-
most bay (heightened to accommodate organ). C14 east window of 3 lights with
a complex reticulated motif. South aisle with 4 3-light C19 traceried windows
in Perpendicular style. The flat heads appear to retain their original hood-
moulds with carved head label stops. The east window has a segmental head
also with original hood mould and stops. 2 arched tomb recesses on south wall.
C19 south porch. Late C13/C14 south doorway with carved decoration to head.
8 2-light clearstorey windows with flat heads and tracery. Chancel with 2
3-light panel traceried windows and a moulded priest's doorway to south. Fine
5-light panel traceried east window. One 3-light window to north with
diagonally set marble plaque below in memory of Sarah Tyssen of Narborough
Hall (died 1814). Interior. Hollow-chamfered tower arch of 2 orders and no
responds. C14 3-bay north arcade of quatrefoil piers with filletted inter-
mediate rolls and facetted capitals/bases. Wave-moulded arches of 2 orders.
No chancel arch. South arcade probably C15 of 4 bays on octagonal piers with
every other facet of each pier concave (except for westernmost pier and
respond). Hollow-chamfered arches of 2 orders. Very fine monuments pertaining
mainly to Spelman family including some late Medieval brasses, a heart tomb
with bust effigy, a large Jacobean monument in memory of Clement and Ursula
Spilman with their full-size effigies, a monument in memory of Clement Spilman
(1679):- a standing statue in coloured marble and a wall tablet to John Spelman
Listing NGR: TF7465412962
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings