This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.643 / 50°38'34"N
Longitude: -3.4762 / 3°28'34"W
OS Eastings: 295714
OS Northings: 83633
OS Grid: SX957836
Mapcode National: GBR P2.M8Q9
Mapcode Global: FRA 37LC.RJ3
Entry Name: High House
Listing Date: 2 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306511
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85908
Location: Kenton, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6
Civil Parish: Kenton
Built-Up Area: Kenton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Kenton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 98 SE
6/240 High House
House, formerly dower house to Powderham Castle (information from owner). C18 or
earlier, remodelled and extended in the early C19 when a cross-wing was added at the
right end; truncated at the left end in the 1950s. Colourwashed plastered cob and
stone rubble. C19 crosswing brick; 2-span slate roof, gabled at end of main range,
hipped at front of wing; end stacks and rear lateral stack to main range, stack to
Plan: Double depth main range, 2 rooms wide with an entrance at the left end into a
spine corridor containing the stair, principal rooms to the front, rear left kitchen
and rear centre parlour, early C19 1-room plan crosswing providing an additional
principal room. Swete's watercolour of 1799 shows the house prior to the crosswing
addition; internal detail suggests that the house was L plan by the C18 but the core
of the main block may be an earlier 2-room and cross passage plan house. The C19
crosswing is probably contemporary with the verandah which extends along the garden
front and return to the left. In the 1950s the left end was truncated retaining part
of the old end wall and the verandah as the end wall to a small, enclosed courtyard.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3:2 window front (garden) elevation, the 2
windows to the crosswing, the 3 window main range symmetrical with an early C19 5-bay
verandah with a slate roof on the columns. 4 early C19 French windows with margin
glazing, blocked recess in centre; 3 first floor 12-pane sashes with shutters. The
wing has 2 larger early C19 12-pane sashes with shutters to the first floor and
similar ground floor sashes without shutters. On the left return the courtyard wall
(formerly the end wall of the house) retains the early C19 5-bay verandah. The
present left end wall has a re-sited C19 panelled front door; two 12-pane first floor
sashes and one ground floor C20 metal-framed window. The rear elevation has 3 first
floor 12-pane sashes with shutters and a ground floor bay window, probably Edwardian,
lighting the parlour.
Interior: The 2 principal rooms on the front have been converted into one room.
Good survival of joinery including shutters, a stick baluster stair with a turned
newel post and pretty Georgian panelling to the parlour; C19 chimney-pieces.
Information about the history of the house including the 1950s plans, in the
possession of the owner. The historian, Polwhele, rented the house when he was
living at Kenton (information from former owner).
Swete, J.,'Picturesque sketches of Devon' volume 18 (1799), held in Devon Record
Listing NGR: SX9571483633
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings