History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in East Carleton, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5727 / 52°34'21"N

Longitude: 1.2153 / 1°12'55"E

OS Eastings: 617980

OS Northings: 302060

OS Grid: TG179020

Mapcode National: GBR VGX.N2T

Mapcode Global: WHLSN.MLYL

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 26 November 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306618

English Heritage Legacy ID: 226906

Location: East Carleton, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: East Carleton

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Carleton East St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
East Carleton

Listing Text

TG 10 SE EAST CARLETON

5/20 Church of St. Mary
26.11.59
II*

Parish church, medieval, restored 1881. Uncoursed broken flint and erratics,
stone dressings, plain tiles. West tower, nave and chancel in one, north
aisle, south porch of c.1918. Unbuttressed tower of 2½ stages: 3-light
Perpendicular west window, stone below inscribed PC TW; short stage above
string slightly recessed containing some C16 brickwork and small blocked
lancets; recessed bell stage of 1895 with embattled parapet, bell openings
in C13 style with cusped Y tracery. Short polygonal turret to north-east
of galletted flint, upper part with dressings of C16 brick. South facade
with 3 buttresses, C19 lancet to centre, light to chancel with C19 trefoil
head. East chancel with raised gable and cross, brick tumbling-in to former
gable, untraceried 3-light east window of 1882 with large foliage stops to
central light. C13 north aisle with parapets of shallow angle and felt roof;
2 lancets, plain chamfered doorway with hood renewed 1881; plain 2-light
west window, east window with 3 plain lights, the outer lights having
asymmetrical heads. South porch built as memorial to J.H. Steward killed
1915; uncoursed whole flint, gable cross and Steward arms in stone, C14 style
arch with sideshafts, left return with single small lancet, right return
with two similar lancets. Interior of ashlar, arch braced collar roof. C14
south doorway with continuous moulding, hood mould with king and queen figure
stops.

Interior: roof and fittings of 1881. Stoup within south doorway to east.
3 bay nave arcade (western arch narrow) of C14 double chamfered arches on
round yellow limestone piers of 1881. Octagonal font with plain shields
on C15 octagonal plinth with trefoil headed panels. Tall C15 tower arch
in brick with semi-circular jambs, rendered except for quadruple chamfered
4-centred arch. Marble slab with indent for brass to a civilian (1481) in
north aisle; marble mural monument of 1722 to north chancel.


Listing NGR: TG1798002060

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.