History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hop Green Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Coggeshall, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8981 / 51°53'53"N

Longitude: 0.6908 / 0°41'26"E

OS Eastings: 585230

OS Northings: 225594

OS Grid: TL852255

Mapcode National: GBR QK1.TQZ

Mapcode Global: VHJJD.XKK8

Entry Name: Hop Green Farmhouse

Listing Date: 6 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306620

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116113

Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Coggeshall

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Coggeshall

Listing Text

TL 82 NE COGGESHALL COLNE ROAD
(west side)

3/81 Hop Green Farmhouse

- II

House. Early C17, altered in late C18 and early C19, renovated c.1975. Timber
framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 4 bays facing SW with
axial stack in second bay from left end, forming a lobby-entrance. 2 storeys.
Service wing of one storey and attics to rear of right end, with internal stack
at end (stack rebuilt in C20). Single-storey lean-to extension in rear left
angle. Early C19 ancillary range of flint and brick rubble extending to right
of main range, one storey, with hipped roof. At each storey, 2 early C19 sash
windows of 10+10 lights and one of 8+8 lights (frames renewed c.1975). 6-panel
door, top 2 panels glazed, in moulded doorcase. Roof half-hipped at both ends.
The parlour (at the left end) has a chamfered binding beam with lamb's tongue
stops, a chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue and roll stops, and a wide
wood-burning hearth with cranked mantel beam with plain stops, and jambs of 0.33
brickwork. The room to right of the stack has a chamfered axial beam with
lamb's tongue stops, and an C18/early C19 pine fire surround (moved from the
parlour c.1975). The right end roof is wholly plastered. Early C19 straight
stair to rear of middle room, with at the top a turned newel, oval-section
hardwood handrail and stick balusters. One jowled post is exposed. Early
floorboards on first floor. In upper rooms, 2 early C19 cast iron ducknest
grates. The roof has been raised approx. 0.40 metre and the roof rebuilt in the
early C19, re-using some smoke-blackened medieval rafters. The rear wing has
exposed plain joists of square section jointed to the axial beam with soffit
tenons with diminished haunches, and a butt-purlin roof. The Feering tithe
award of 1841 shows that this house was then associated with a farm of 87 acres
(Essex Record Office D/CT 137). RCHM (Feering) 10 reported that various repairs
were dated 1788 and 1807; the dates are not now visible. The owner reports that
all groundsills and footings and some parts of the timber frame were renewed
c.1975.


Listing NGR: TL8523025594

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.