History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cringleford, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6057 / 52°36'20"N

Longitude: 1.2452 / 1°14'42"E

OS Eastings: 619836

OS Northings: 305824

OS Grid: TG198058

Mapcode National: GBR VGK.PLW

Mapcode Global: WHMTM.3R6S

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 26 November 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306659

English Heritage Legacy ID: 226902

Location: Cringleford, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR4

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Cringleford

Built-Up Area: Cringleford

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Cringleford St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Earlham

Listing Text

TG 10 NE CRINGLEFORD NEWMARKET ROAD
(south side)
2/16 Church of St. Peter
26.11.59

GV II*

Parish church, Medieval, restored 1898. Flint with some iron conglomerate
and erratics, limestone dressings; plain tiles. West tower, nave, north
porch, chancel, south aisle of 1898, south-west vestry of 1925. Unbuttressed
tower; late C14 4-centred west window of 2 lights and panel tracery, partly
renewed, part of brick relieving arch above; ringing chamber with small
cusp-headed single lights to north, south and west, heads to south and west
renewed; bell stage with string course, 4-centred bell openings of 2 cusped
lights and eyelet; embattled parapet ofknapped flint with string course
having angel gargoyles, remains of evangelistic symbols at north angles.
North porch: C15, gable parapet and cross-; perpendicular arch with narrow
continuous moulding, and side shafts, hood with stops of small angels holding
shields, niche above now with statue of St. Peter 1940; returns each with
small 2-light opening undera square head; interior with wide basket headed
recesses to each wall; tall north doorway with continuous roll mould and
hood. North nave: C19 buttress to east angle and to centre across line of
former C13 arch, to left a double splayed Cll semi-circular headed opening,
now blocked, and vestigial herringbone work; 2 openings part renewed as to
west tower; to left a narrow 2-light opening under a square head having below
a square opening, 43 x 43 cm, of hagioscope to chancel. Chancel, C19 diagonal
buttresses, gable with devil's head corbels; east window of 2-lights with
Decorated tracery; north chancel with Cll double splayed opening to centre,
to right set low a single splayed semi-circular headed opening; south chancel
with 2 lancets. South aisle of 1898 reusing material of earlier south nave:
south-east quoin of iron conglomerate; east window and 3 openings to south
as to west tower, two being reset from earlier nave, to left a narrow 2-light
opening as to north nave probably reset. Interior: Roof of 1898 with 7 cants
and scissor bracing; 3 bay south arcade of 1898 in C14 style with octagonal
piers and double hollow chamfered arches; C15 chancel arch with polygonal
jambs and continuous double chamfered arch. Small recess to left. North
chancel with 2 Cll splayed openings of semi-circular headed lancets, that
to right with traces of painted decoration, that to left lower with narrow
hagioscope in left splay leading to present outer wall of nave. 2 wide lancet
recesses flanking east window. South chancel openings with dropped rear
arches, that to left now with fragments of early stones, 4 forming a wheel
head cross, one with incised crosses as if for altar. Plain piscina with
original wooden shelf. South aisle of 1898, roof of arch braced collars.
C15 octagonal font with bowl reset or renewed 1898, foliage and floral
designs to faces, C15 base of bowl with trailing vine as to font in Church
of St. Peter Ketteringham q.v. 5/80, octagonal stem with hollow niche to
each face containing fleurons; C15 Maltese cross base. South aisle with
medieval glass of saints in panel tracery of central light. Narrow early
C18 table with legs of tapering Tuscan columns with clasping bands. Canvas
achievement of George IV over north door; west wall with fragments of Cll
interlacing stone work from cross and of shaft with cushion capital. Under
tower framed Lords Prayer in oak fretwork, 1906 by Frederick Reynolds aged
14.


Listing NGR: TG1983605824

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.