This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8644 / 50°51'51"N
Longitude: -3.1348 / 3°8'5"W
OS Eastings: 320236
OS Northings: 107827
OS Grid: ST202078
Mapcode National: GBR LZ.TZLJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 46BT.6LD
Entry Name: Upottery Primary School
Listing Date: 16 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306678
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86702
Location: Upottery, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Upottery
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Upottery St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 20 NW
7/147 Upottery Primary School
School, now incorporating former master's house. Circa 1880. Local flint rubble
with Bathstone ashlar detail; the flint rubble stacks are now disused and their
chimneyshafts have been demolished; tile roof.
Plan: school and adjoining former master's house. The building faces west with the
school to left and centre (north) and the house to right (south). The school has a
T-plan; a central axial block and a right end crosswing projecting front and back.
There is an entrance porch on the front in the angle of the 2 wings. On the right
end of the axial block is the former master's house which has an L-plan. The 2-room
block adjoining the school is built as another crosswing but this one projects only
very slightly forward. On the outer side of the back is a 1-room plan projecting
wing and there is an entrance porch in the angle of the 2 wings. All the
chimneystacks are disused and their chimneyshafts have been demolished. The school
is single storey but nearly as tall as the 2-storey house. The school is built in a
kind of Early English style whilst the house is early Tudor style.
Exterior: the whole building has an ashlar chamfered plinth and eaves cornice, the
walls are broken by horizontal bands of Bathstone ashlar and all gabled have shaped
kneelers and coping. The front of the axial school block contains a triple lancet
window. Alongside to left the porch has a blocked 2-centred arch doorway with
hoodmould and block label stops. The front end of the crosswing contains a large
transomed 3-light window with simple uncusped plate tracery with hoodmould and block
labels. There is another similar in the rear end and 2 similar 2-light windows with
The front gable contains a plaque carved with the Sidmouth arms and with a round-
headed hoodmould over. The front end of the former master's house contains a ground
floor 3-light window and first floor 2-light window. Both are square-headed,
transomed and the upper tier of lights are shoulder-headed. Above each is a pointed
arch filled with a chequer pattern of black flint and Bathstone blocks. The porch
doorway is also a shoulder-headed arch.
Interior: not inspected.
Upottery Primary School is one of a good group of C19 buildings built at the expense
of Lord Sidmouth which make up most of the village of Upottery.
Listing NGR: ST2023607827
Other nearby listed buildings