History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hele Almshouses

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wembury, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3264 / 50°19'34"N

Longitude: -4.063 / 4°3'46"W

OS Eastings: 253250

OS Northings: 49415

OS Grid: SX532494

Mapcode National: GBR Q0.XS8M

Mapcode Global: FRA 28C5.JYH

Entry Name: Hele Almshouses

Listing Date: 29 March 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306680

English Heritage Legacy ID: 100472

Location: Wembury, South Hams, Devon, PL9

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Wembury

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Wembury

Listing Text

SX 54 NW WEMBURY
8/193
29/3/84 Hele Almshouses

II*


Six almshouses and chapel at the centre. 1682. Slate rubble with stone windows and
doorways. Slate roof with gabled ends. One and a half storeys. Long seven bay
range. The chapel at the centre is gabled and has round-headed doorway with imposts
and keyblock and hood mould over with date 1881. Doorway flanked by small
single-light stone windows and three-light window above.
The chapel is flanked by three almshouses each having small gable with window with
two four-centred arch lights and hood mould. Ground floor single-light four-centred
arch windows with hood moulds and chamfered. Tudor-arched doorways. Slated
weathering over ground floor chapel and first cottage either side. The other
cottages have slate drips over their ground floor windows and doors. Large stone
rubble chimney stacks at gable ends and ridge. Casement windows with leaded panels.
Glazed doors. Chapel has plank door.
Interiors of cottages are said to have exposed ceiling beams. The chapel has
unceiled wagon roof. On east wall above the window some contemporary moulded
plasterwork.
The Almshouses and chapel were the gift of Sir Warwick Hele of Wembury House, High
Sheriff of Devon.


Listing NGR: SX5325049415

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.