History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Feeringbury Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Feering, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8615 / 51°51'41"N

Longitude: 0.7046 / 0°42'16"E

OS Eastings: 586331

OS Northings: 221558

OS Grid: TL863215

Mapcode National: GBR QKM.BXV

Mapcode Global: VHKG2.5GCV

Entry Name: Feeringbury Manor

Listing Date: 2 May 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306710

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116404

Location: Feering, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Feering

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Feering All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Feering

Listing Text

FEERING COGGESHALL ROAD
TL 82 SE (west side)

3/83 Feeringbury Manor
2.5.53

GV II*

House. Circa 1300, altered in C15, C16, C18, C19 and C20. Timber framed,
plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 3-bay hall facing NE, formerly
aisled, with C16 stack to rear of middle bay. C15 3-bay crosswing to right,
extending forwards; with C16 and C18 external stacks to right, and C19 external
stack to rear. Late C16 3-bay crosswing to left, extending further forwards,
with C16 and C19 external stacks to left. C18/early C19 extension to left of
front bay. C18 and C19 extensions to rear of hall range. Other C19 extensions
were demolished c.1960. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 4 C19/20 casements, one
Gothic Revival casement with 2-centred head and Y-tracery, and early C19 splayed
bay of sashes below jetty of right crosswing, extending forwards. First floor,
2 C19/20 casements, 3 early C19 tripartite sashes, and one small fixed light
with glazed margins. C19 Gothic Revival door with 2-centred head, in gabled
porch with bargeboards. 2 plain brackets below jetty of right crosswing. Late
C19 scrolled brackets below eaves of left crosswing. In the right return a
French window is cut through the C16 stack; on the first floor is one early C19
sash of 12 lights. In the left return a French window is cut through the C16
stack, which has an ovolo-moulded cornice and 3 octagonal shafts. The rear
stack has 3 octagonal shafts, truncated. The roof of the right crosswing has a
gablet hip to the rear. The hall has a late C16 inserted floor, with chamfered
beams and lamb's tongue stops. The aisles have been removed in the C16, and
studding has been inserted below the arcade plates. The roof retains some
heavily smoke-blackened original rafters, mostly re-set in the C16 with unsooted
pegs; one rafter has an oblique trench for a passing-brace near the apex; the
tiebeams are not morticed for crownposts. The right crosswing has a studded
partition at both storeys between the middle and rear bays, an edge-halved and
bridled scarf in the right wallplate, jowled posts, a cambered tiebeam, and
crownpost roof with gauging holes and axial braces. The front ground floor room
of it has been extensively altered in Gothic Revival style, with a carved
monogram E.R.C. (for E.R. Corder) and date 1878 on a post to the left. Re-set
in the front windows are 2 roundels of C16 glass, E.R. with a crowned rose, and
R.H. with the arms of Heygate (for Sir Richard Heygate). The left crosswing has
on the upper storey a studded partition between the middle and rear bays, jowled
posts, a cambered tiebeam, and a clasped purlin roof with arched wind-bracing.
The absence of gauging holes in the rafters, and the ovolo moulding of the
stack, indicates a date of construction after 1575, but probably not later than
1600. The manor was held by the Abbot of Westminster from an unknown date, but
certainly by 1343, until the Dissolution. Henry VII granted it to his newly
created Bishopric of Westminster in 1540; under Edward VI the Bishopric was
suppressed, and Feeringbury passed to the Bishop of London in 1550. (P. Morant,
The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, 1768, II, 171. Feeringbury
was held by the Quaker families of Corder and Catchpole from c.1717 (B.L.
Kentish, Kelvedon and its Antiquities, 1974, 63-4. RCHM 4.


Listing NGR: TL8633121558

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.