History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Stow Maries, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6629 / 51°39'46"N

Longitude: 0.6507 / 0°39'2"E

OS Eastings: 583419

OS Northings: 199343

OS Grid: TQ834993

Mapcode National: GBR QMW.PBH

Mapcode Global: VHJKK.7GBK

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 30 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306732

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117438

Location: Stow Maries, Maldon, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Stow Maries

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stow Maries St Mary and St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Woodham Ferrers

Listing Text

STOW MARIES CHURCH LANE
TQ 89 NW
(west side)
4/113 The Old Rectory
GV II
House. Circa 1800. Gault brick in Flemish bond, mostly painted, roofed with
interlocking concrete tiles. Square plan facing E with 2 internal stacks in
left half, and 2 stacks in right return. Original single-storey service wing to
right, with hipped slate roof of low pitch. To rear of it, later C19
single-storey extension with gabled roof of slate, and C20 single-storey
extension with flat roof. Early C19 extension to left of 2 storeys with
pyramidal roof. 2 storeys. The main building has a 3-window range of original
sashes of 12 lights with flat brick arches, and a central 6-panel door with
blocked overlight. The door and the ground-floor windows are recessed in
semi-circular arches. The right wing has 2 C19/C20 sashes. The left extension
has one original sash of 8 lights on each floor. Pyramidal roof of low pitch.
The rear elevation of the main building has on the ground floor one C20 French
window, one original sash of 12 lights and one C20 replacement, and on the first
floor 2 original sashes of 12 lights and one C20 replacement, all with flat
brick arches. The house is described as 'bricked and slated' in a terrier of
1818, with a garden to the W, a lawn to the S, and a yard and various ancillary
buildings to the N which are not now present (July 1985), and 34 acres of
arable land (Essex Record Office, D/P 391/3 and D/AEM 2/6).


Listing NGR: TQ8341999343

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.