History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rook Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Cressing, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8555 / 51°51'19"N

Longitude: 0.6012 / 0°36'4"E

OS Eastings: 579238

OS Northings: 220634

OS Grid: TL792206

Mapcode National: GBR QKH.NTH

Mapcode Global: VHJJK.CMQF

Entry Name: Rook Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 21 December 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306803

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116387

Location: Cressing, Braintree, Essex, CM77

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Cressing

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Find accommodation in
Bradwell

Listing Text

CRESSING THE STREET
TL 72 SE (west side)

1/63 Rook Hall Farmhouse
21.12.67

GV II

House. C16 to C17, altered in C18 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed
with handmade red plain tiles. Main range of 3 bays facing NE, with central
stack forming a lobby-entrance. Rear range surviving from part of a late
medieval house, forming a T-plan. Small single-storey extension to right. Rear
extensions of various dates. 2 storeys and attics. 2 early C19 sashes of 16
lights on each floor, and one C18 sash of 12 lights over door. Crown glass.
Central double doors each with 3 fielded panels, plastered doorcase with
rusticated jambs, pulvinated frieze and moulded and dentilled pediment.
Elevation slightly asymmetrical. 4 square shafts with ovolo-moulded cornice
emerge from roof, becoming octagonal above cornice, with spiked caps, restored.
The main range has jowled posts, straight bracing at first floor only,
interrupting the studding. 2 main studs in each long bay, enclosing the
windows. Chamfered axial beams with lamb's tongue stops. Face-halved and
bladed scarfs in wallplates. Straight tiebeams. One extra tiebeam and pair of
principal rafters in each long bay. Clasped purlin roof with near-straight wind
bracing. The rear wing comprises the service bay of a late medieval house, and
one bay containing a newel stair. An incomplete carved inscription on the front
girt of the right bay of the main range has the numerals 75 and 3 initials,
suggesting a marriage in 1575; the initials have not proved to be identifiable,
as the parish registers for the appropriate period have not survived.
Structural features of this range would be compatible with a date of circa 1600
or in the early C17. (C.A. Hewett, English Historic Carpentry, 1980, 225-6 and
269). RCHM 7.


Listing NGR: TL7923820634

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.