This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6878 / 51°41'15"N
Longitude: 0.6512 / 0°39'4"E
OS Eastings: 583357
OS Northings: 202105
OS Grid: TL833021
Mapcode National: GBR QMP.3H1
Mapcode Global: VHJKC.7VM1
Entry Name: Mill Farmhouse
Listing Date: 30 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306813
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117430
Location: Purleigh, Maldon, Essex, CM3
Civil Parish: Purleigh
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Purleigh All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
PURLEIGH MILL LANE
TL 80 SW
House. Circa 1778, altered in early C19. Timber framed, weatherboarded with
facade of red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles.
Rectangular plan facing SW, with internal stack at left end and external stack
at right end. Early C19 extension to rear of right end, forming a catslide
with the main roof, and later lean-to extension along the remainder of the rear
elevation. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 2 early C19 sashes of 12 lights in
segmental brick arches, with some crown glass, and doorway converted to C20
casement. First floor, 2 similar sashes and one blocked over former door.
Entrance in right return. In the rear elevation, on the upper storey, is one
original 3-light window with wrought iron casement and rectangular leading.
Chamfered axial beams with lamb's tongue stops. The court rolls of Le How manor
record that on 23 March 1778 Roger Cook, shopkeeper, was admitted to this land
as waste with liberty to erect a tenement and windmill thereon, and that by 30
October 1782 he had mortgaged it with the cottage, windmill, outhouses and
buildings thereon built (Essex Record Office, D/DU 377/5). At that stage the
brick facade would not have been present, and probably not the right stack
either. (See item 1/100).
Listing NGR: TL8335702105
Other nearby listed buildings