History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Timbers

A Grade II Listed Building in Wethersfield, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9549 / 51°57'17"N

Longitude: 0.5275 / 0°31'38"E

OS Eastings: 573773

OS Northings: 231504

OS Grid: TL737315

Mapcode National: GBR PGX.G5K

Mapcode Global: VHJJ4.3467

Entry Name: Old Timbers

Listing Date: 19 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306825

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115702

Location: Wethersfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Wethersfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Wethersfield St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Sible Hedingham

Listing Text

TL 73 SW WETHERSFIELD LOWER GREEN ROAD
(east side)

1/190 Old Timbers

GV II

House. C16 or earlier, altered in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with
handmade red clay tiles. 2-bay hall facing SE with inserted stack in left bay
against rear wall, and parlour/solar bay to right. To left, 2-bay crosswing,
c.1570, with axial stack at rear, extended to rear by one bay. Single-storey
crosswing to right of main range, 1982. Hall range of one storey with attics,
left crosswing of 2 storeys. Ground floor, 4 C20 casements. First floor, 2
more, of which one is in a gabled dormer. C20 door at front of C20 porch. The
hall range is much altered, not clearly datable but probably early Cl6. It has
jowled posts, heavy studding, and a blocked plain doorway from the hall to the
parlour. The hall has a late C16 inserted floor comprising a chamfered axial
beam with lamb's tongue stops and plain joists of horizontal section supported
on pegged clamps. The rafters are trenched for high collars, whether for a
crownpost roof or simple collar-rafter roof. Smoke-blackening survives at the
left end, on the present staircase. The left crosswing has jowled posts, an
unglazed window with 2 diamond mullions in the right side, a chamfered axial
beam with lamb's tongue stops, chamfered joists of horizontal section with
lamb's tongue stops, an edge-halved and bridled scarf in the left wallplate, and
a clasped purlin roof with high collars and arched wind-bracing. This
combination of features makes a close dating of 1565-1580 possible (J. McCann,
The Introduction of the Lamb's Tongue Stop, Historic Buildings in Essex 2,
1985).


Listing NGR: TL7377331504

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.