This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5368 / 51°32'12"N
Longitude: 0.7296 / 0°43'46"E
OS Eastings: 589398
OS Northings: 185523
OS Grid: TQ893855
Mapcode National: GBR YC9.BX
Mapcode Global: VHKHM.LMKQ
Entry Name: Southchurch Hall
Listing Date: 23 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306880
English Heritage Legacy ID: 122926
Location: Southend-on-Sea, SS1
Electoral Ward/Division: Kursaal
Built-Up Area: Southend-on-Sea
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Southchurch Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
SOUTHCHURCH HALL CLOSE
TQ 88 NE 2/43 23.11.51.
A C13 timber-framed and plastered moated manor house with a cross wing at the west
end which is jettied on the upper storey. The house is very interesting because
of its early date. A Tudor wing extends to the south at the west end and a modern
wing at the east end. Both wings are tile hung. The house probably stands on the
site of a Saxon hall and it is still enclosed by a moat and earthworks probably
of Norman origin. It is recorded that the land was given to the monks of Canterbury
in 823 by Leofstan, a Saxon thegn. Subsequently the tenants of the hall inherited
the family name of "de Southchurch", a custom which survived until the death of
Sir Peter de Southchurch in 1309. In the late C19 the hall was owned by Thomas
Dowsett, first Mayor of Southend. It was presented to the town in 1925 and extensively
restored in 1930. Some original doorways and windows were uncovered during the
restorations. The windows are casements with lattice leaded lights. Roof tiled,
with 4 hipped dormer windows on the north front. The west wing has a good Tudor
external chimney stack with diagonal shafts and a moulded cap. The interior of
the hall has a good late C13 or early C14 tie beam roof with curved braces and
an octagonal crown post with moulded capital. It has a number of original features
including a doorway with a good carved ogee arched doorhead. (RCHM 2).
Listing NGR: TQ8939885523
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings