History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cameo Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Purleigh, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6844 / 51°41'3"N

Longitude: 0.6561 / 0°39'21"E

OS Eastings: 583707

OS Northings: 201744

OS Grid: TL837017

Mapcode National: GBR QMP.BPQ

Mapcode Global: VHJKC.BX6M

Entry Name: Cameo Cottage

Listing Date: 30 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306910

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117409

Location: Purleigh, Maldon, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Purleigh

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Purleigh All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Woodham Mortimer

Listing Text

PURLEIGH CHAPEL LANE
TL 80 SW
(west side)
1/81 Cameo Cottage
GV II

Cottage. 1778, extended in late C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered and
weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2 bays facing SE, with
internal stack at left end. Late C19 2-storey extension to left, with C20
lean-to conservatory in front of it. C19 lean-to extension to rear. One storey
with attics. Ground floor, 3 C20 casements with rectangular leading. First
floor, 2 similar casements in lean-to dormers. Gambrel roof. C20 door in
lean-to at right rear corner. The left extension has a continuous line of C20
lights on the ground floor, and one C20 casement on the first floor. Chamfered
axial beams, plain joists of vertical section. The court rolls of Le How Manor
of 23 March 1778 record that James Bowles, husbandman, was admitted to 16 rods
of How Plain with liberty to erect a cottage, and of 30 October 1782 that he had
sold the land with a cottage thereon to John Kendal, carpenter (Essex Record
Office, D/DU 377/5).


Listing NGR: TL8370701744

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.