History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Riverside Cottage riverside Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in North Fambridge, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6409 / 51°38'27"N

Longitude: 0.6756 / 0°40'32"E

OS Eastings: 585232

OS Northings: 196960

OS Grid: TQ852969

Mapcode National: GBR QN9.3M1

Mapcode Global: VHJKR.N0JW

Entry Name: Riverside Cottage riverside Cottages

Listing Date: 16 January 1981

Last Amended: 30 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306934

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117407

Location: North Fambridge, Maldon, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: North Fambridge

Built-Up Area: North Fambridge

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: North Fambridge Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Latchingdon and Snoreham

Listing Text

NORTH FAMBRIDGE FERRY ROAD
TQ 89 NE
(west side)
5/72 No.4, Riverside Cottages
16.1.81 and No.5 (Riverside
Cottage)
Formerly listed as No 4
GV Riverside Cottages and
II Riverside Cottage)

Block of 2 attached cottages. C18/early C19. Timber framed, weatherboarded,
roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Facing E, with one internal stack in front
pitch of roof. Lean-to extensions to rear (slated on No.5). 2 storeys and
attics. No.4 has one C20 casement with external plain shutters on each floor,
and a C20 half-glazed door. No. 5 has one late C19 sash of 16 lights on the
ground floor, and one late C19 casement of 4 lights on the first floor, and a
plain door with simple fluted jambs and plain canopy. A straight joint through
the building and a ripple in the roof indicate that the 2 cottages are of
different builds. This block and nos 1-3 (not listed) are enclosed in an
isolated sea wall of earth faced with slabs. The tithe award of 1840 shows 2
tenements, and an ancillary building to the rear, since demolished (Essex Record
Office, D/CT 133). The Ordnance Survey map of 1873 shows the block increased to
3 cotttages, reduced to 2 again in the Second Edition of 1896.


Listing NGR: TQ8523296960

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.