History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hillington, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.797 / 52°47'49"N

Longitude: 0.5544 / 0°33'15"E

OS Eastings: 572318

OS Northings: 325221

OS Grid: TF723252

Mapcode National: GBR P4P.P09

Mapcode Global: WHKQ1.HY7L

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 15 August 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306957

English Heritage Legacy ID: 222135

Location: Hillington, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Hillington

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Hillington St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Hillington

Listing Text

HILLINGTON CONGHAM ROAD
TF 72 NW
(east side)
3/25 Church of St. Mary
15.8.60
II*
Parish church C15 and 1824, uncoursed flint with some Sandringham sandstone
and carstone, stone dressings, pantiles. West tower, nave incorporating
former south aisle, chancel, north chapel to chancel. 3-stage tower c1434,
diagonal buttresses with flushwork, brick embattled parapet; C19 west doorway
with 4-centred arch, Gothick panelled door; C19 3-light west window with
Decorated tracery; narrow stair turret to north; 2nd stage with small cusp
headed single lights; bell openings of 3 lights with panel tracery, a mullion
lost to west and north, openings filled with honeycombed brick. Nave of
1824, north and south alike. Dentil cornice, 3 openings with brick in cast
surrounds, 3-lights with panel tracery, all in cast iron; large blocks of
carstone and Sandringham sandstone to base of south aisle. Chancel restored
1892: mainly of Sandringham sandstone, plain tiles, diagonal buttresses,
blocked doorways to north and south with buttress and 2 C19 2-light openings
with panel tracery; 5-light C19 east window with panel tracery, string course
below and pointed stone niche. C19 chapel to north of chancel in broken
flint with moulded brick cornice, plain tiles, angle buttresses, gable
parapets and cross, large north 3-light window with decorated tracery.
Interior: nave and south aisle now one, coved ceiling, polygonal respond
of former arcade to west, chancel arch of 1892 rising from stiff leaf corbels,
chancel roof arch braced with wind braces, Tudor flower frieze and angel
corbels. Tall tower arch C15, with polygonal shafts supporting chamfered
mouldings, continuous hollow chamfers, outer slender round shafts; tower
stair door ledged and battened, C15 arch head renewed. Octagonal C15 font
beneath chancel arch, (from church of St. Mary, Islington, Norfolk TF 5716)
alternate blank arcade and shields to faces, oak panelled pulpit with arch
curved hand rail, perhaps part of 3 decker pulpit; North chapel with C19
hammer beam roof; Organ of 1756 by J. Snetzler, panelled mahogany case with
classical ornamental beading and Rococo gilded woodwork decoration, colours
of keys reversed. Monuments: 3 C18 marble altar tombs in north chapel to
members of ffolkes family; north chancel mural monument, 1611, to Richard
Hovel and wife, son Richard (died 1653) and wife, of alabaster with
Renaissance arches and two pairs of figures each facing each other across
faldstools; 11 Tournai marble ledger slabs to chancel, some heraldic; pair
of large mural marble tablets in south chancel to Mary Browne 1699-1763 with
fluted Ionic pilasters and segmental head, to Sir Wm. Browne with plain open
pilasters open pediment and relief rondal of Sir Wm., both inscribed "Sir
WB Archit". C17 wooden cupboard to north-west nave, 3 open panels each of
3 rows of turned bars. Mural marble monument in south nave, 1826, signed
H. Hopper, to Lady Lucretia Georgiana Browne West depicted as life size figure
holding her posthumous son, she died in Bombay shortly after her son who
died at birth.


Listing NGR: TF7231825221

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.