History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brook Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Latchingdon, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6754 / 51°40'31"N

Longitude: 0.7461 / 0°44'45"E

OS Eastings: 589965

OS Northings: 200968

OS Grid: TL899009

Mapcode National: GBR RP4.X0S

Mapcode Global: VHKH1.W580

Entry Name: Brook Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 10 January 1953

Last Amended: 30 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306991

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117394

Location: Latchingdon, Maldon, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Latchingdon

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Latchingdon Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Latchingdon and Snoreham

Listing Text

LATCHINGDON STEEPLE ROAD
TL 80 SE
(south side)
2/38 Brook Hall Farmhouse
10/1/53 (Formerly listed as
Brook Hall) )
­ II

House. Circa 1500 and C17, altered in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed
with interlocking concrete tiles. C17 4-bay range facing NW, with axial stack
in second bay from right end. Behind right end, C18/C19 single-storey service
range with axial stack. At left end of main range, 2-bay crosswing projecting
forwards, c.1500, with early C17 external stack at left side, the whole forming
a Z-plan. 2 storeys with attics. Ground floor, 3 C20 casements and one metal
sliding French window. First floor, 3 C20 casements. C20 door. Roof of main
range half-hipped at right end, roof of crosswing fully hipped. The crosswing
survives from a medieval hall house, of which the remainder has been demolished,
much of the timber being re-used in the present main range. The crosswing has
jowled posts, close studding partly exposed internally, a chamfered binding beam
with mitred stops, a cambered central tiebeam with 2 arched braces, and a
crownpost roof with axial bracing. The main range has chamfered axial and
transverse beams with lamb's tongue stops at both floors, and plain joists of
square section. The clasped purlin roof is almost wholly constructed of re-used
rafters from the roof of the medieval hall house. 2 large wood-burning hearths
back to back, much altered in the C20. At the E corner of the stack is a brick
inscribed with the letters I.W., but half concealed by plaster. If the other
half has a date, this is likely to be the date of construction of the original
chimney, and therefore of the main range. RCHM 8.


Listing NGR: TL8996500968

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.