History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bovill's Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Ardleigh, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9198 / 51°55'11"N

Longitude: 0.9853 / 0°59'7"E

OS Eastings: 605389

OS Northings: 228795

OS Grid: TM053287

Mapcode National: GBR SMW.PXM

Mapcode Global: VHKG1.107M

Entry Name: Bovill's Hall

Listing Date: 30 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307139

English Heritage Legacy ID: 120397

Location: Ardleigh, Tendring, Essex, CO7

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Ardleigh

Built-Up Area: Ardleigh

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Ardleigh St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Ardleigh

Listing Text

ARDLEIGH STATION ROAD
TM 02 NE

6/52 Bovill's Hall

II
-

House. C15 or earlier origin with C18 and C19 alterations and extensions. The
original build timber framed, painted brick faced. Hipped grey slate roofs. 2
rear chimney stacks to front range. C18/C19 rear ranges of similar materials.
2 storeys and cellars. Of 3 bays with end and 2 central pilasters. 3 first
floor round headed double casements in square surrounds with shutters, similar
windows to returns. Ground floor. Right and left French windows, gauged brick
arches and shutters. Angled bay with glazed margins to left return. Central
moulded flat canopy supported by circular columns, moulded capitals. Moulded
surround, brackets, moulded dentilled cornice, panelled door with round headed
double lights. Interior features include exposed timber studs to left front
room, chamfered bridging joist and flat section ceiling beams. C19 panelled
rear room with moulded cornice. 6 panelled doors with moulded surrounds. Rear
dairy with flagstone floor, vertically boarded doors and chamfered bridging
joists, servants stairs from this room. Large cellars, brick pier supports.
One of the 4 manors of Ardleigh. Sandford Lambe was Lord of the Manor in 1796.
F.H. Erith "Ardleigh in 1796", 1978. RCHM 8.


Listing NGR: TM0538928795

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.