History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret

A Grade II Listed Building in Hemingby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2524 / 53°15'8"N

Longitude: -0.1469 / 0°8'48"W

OS Eastings: 523729

OS Northings: 374418

OS Grid: TF237744

Mapcode National: GBR WZDT.ZT

Mapcode Global: WHHK9.QJ70

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 14 September 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307152

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195661

Location: Hemingby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN9

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Hemingby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Hemingby group

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Hemingby

Listing Text

TF 27 SW HEMINGBY MAIN STREET
(west side)

1/4 Church of
14.9.66 St. Margaret

G.V. II

Parish church. C14, rebuilt 1764 by John Clark and rebuilt again
in 1895 by W. Scorer. Green sandstone rubble blocks, limestone
ashlar. Plain tiled roofs with decorative roof tiles, stone
coped gables and cross finials. West tower, nave with north
organ chamber, south vestry and chancel. West tower with 2 stage
diagonal buttresses. Pointed west window with 2 pointed cusped
lights set into 2 other pointed cusped lights and mouchette.
Cusped light in north side. Doorway in south side with lean-to
porch with outer semi-circular chamfered doorway with hood mould
and ornate label stops. Inner pointed chamfered doorway with
double plank doors. Single rectangular lights above on north and
south sides. Clock above on west side. Bell openings on all 4
sides, each with a triangular head. 2 pointed cusped lights,
mouchette, hood mould and C14 head label stops. Moulded eaves
above and parapet with frieze of blind, pointed arches and
rectangular pedestals at corners. Weathervane. C18 north side
of nave with 2 windows with semi-circular heads,and C19 tracery
of 2 pointed cusped lights and mouchette. Gabled organ chamber
to east with single north window with 3 plate trefoil headed
lights. Projecting doorway to east return with chamfered head
and plank door. East end of chancel with broad, pointed C19
window with 3 cusped lights and 3 mouchettes. C14 fragment of
frieze inserted above with 2 cusped diamonds containing blank
shields. South side of chancel with rectangular light to east
with ogee cusped light and 2 mouchettes. Projecting gabled
vestry with triangular headed window with 2 cusped, pointed
lights and mouchette. 2 C14 fragments of tracery inserted above.
South side of nave with 3 C18 semi-circular headed windows with
C19 tracery of 2 pointed, cusped lights and mouchette. Tall C19
tower arch with triangular head and chamfered surround. Chancel
arch, a re-used C14 pointed, chamfered arch, the inner order
supported on polygonal corbels. Single semi-circular openings
give access to north organ chamber and south vestry. C14
octagonal font on octagonal pedestal and broached base. C19
pews, pulpit, lectern and highly painted reredos. Grey and white
marble monument with urn flanked by single globes, to the
Reverend Joseph Carr, died 1768. White marble monument on black
marble field, to Mrs. Baker of Orsett Hall, Essex, died 1849.


Listing NGR: TF2372974418

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.